1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

having a duck gender issue!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by c.wilson, Jul 31, 2008.

1. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    I have a white pekin duck named Bonnie. She/He has a little bit of a gender issue. She/He has a loud quack like a female and a soft whispery quack like a male. She/He mates with the other ducks and she gets mated by the males that I know for sure are males. If she confused and if good at immitating what the other male ducks do.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with her. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks c.wilson

2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    What do the tail feathers look like ? After about 4-5 months the males will have a curly feather at the end of the tail .Good luck .

3. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    she dont have a tail feather yet. its looks like a hen. i have two other drakes and they both have there tail feathers and one is starting to get one but not the pekin.

4. clay

clay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2008
    Our first two ducks are hens, and the runner took on the drake role, dutifully mating the cayuga and trying to quack low like a boy. Once we got a drake, she completely reversed and is now just "one of the girls". I've read here in the BYC forums of similar behavior from chickens.

5. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    Ok thanks. that is some very very very helpful information. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by