Having a few problems with a pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lds_horselover2005, Feb 1, 2009.

1. lds_horselover2005

lds_horselover2005 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    South Central PA
    Hello everyone!
    I have a little pullet that has been shaking alot. She looks sick so I brought her in the house. She still is shaking. Her skin around her eyes seems puffy and pale. I put some antibotics and vitamins and elctrolytes in the water. She seems a little better today but not by much. What do you all think is wrong, what caused it, and what should I do? She is not alone so I feel better about that (I have another pullet that is blind.) and I have been giving her lots of food and water. She is eating well just seems sick...

Thanks in advance!

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
  3. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Hey lds,
    Is she sneezzing? That shaking part is definitly weird. I wonder how to tell if she is running a fever or something.

4. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Those pictures made my feel so sorry for those poor birds. That picture of the comb almost made my stomach turn [​IMG]

5. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    yeah those pictures are bad, but atleast you can have something for reference.

6. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    When you say she is shaking, is it her whole body, just her head??

7. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    feel the comb and under the wings for heat.

describe the droppings..color and consistency.

are the eyes bubbling? any mucus?

I see you're in Pa..cold there.

what antibiotic did you use?

try giving aspirin..separately..not mixed with other medicated water..give some by drops on beak..(in case she has a fever causing the shaking)
    1 (81mg) tablet crushed into 1 quart of water..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  8. lds_horselover2005

lds_horselover2005 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    South Central PA
    Tetracycline is what I used. It is about the only thing I can get ahold of besides penacillin.
    Her whole body is shaking. Her poop looks normal but by the looks of her feathers she has had diarreha. (I didn't spell that right lol) She isn't sneezing or coughing, she just looks like she feels bad if ya know what I mean.
    I looked at her today. Around her eyes are still puffy but she is starting to get some color back.
    I will have to feel under her wings tonight to see if she is warm.
    I will see if we have a little bit of asprin to give her.

I also noticed that one of the little roos she grew up with is starting to get the puffy eyes. He has diarreha and his eyes are watery, but besides that he is normal. I seen that today when I went out for eggs today.

Thanks for info so far.

Edited to say that I have only seen these problems happening in my youngest chickens. None of my older ones have had any problems as of yet. I put them outside just as it was getting cold. I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  9. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    try and get some Tylan 50 injectable..available at farm/feed stores, such as TSC..in the LIVESTOCK section..
    and try and get some 1 or 2 cc syringes and 22-24 gauge needles and alcohol for cleaning the area.

Baytril is an option, but it comes from a vet..

you might go to:

http://firststatevetsupply.com/

you can contact Peter Brown there..for more advice and meds.

10. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    How old is she? Do you have a heat lamp out there for them?
    ~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by