Having a hard time not helping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CarolJ, Oct 3, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    The first egg pipped on Saturday. Since then 10 others have completely hatched. That first one has pipped more - it's got a dime-size hole in it and the chick is chirping up a storm. However, it still hasn't zipped, and it hasn't enlarged the hole since yesterday. It has been right almost 48 hours since it first pipped. The other chicks are pecking at it through the hole. As soon as I get the temp in the brooder regulated, I plan on removing the chicks that have already hatched since they're all dry and fluffy and running all over the place. Should I continue to just leave the unhatched one alone? After almost two days of trying to hatch, wouldn't it be getting exhausted?

2. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i had the same thing just happen to me and i decided not to help the chick i have heard that if they cant make it out the chances of them surviving are slim to none. i let nature takes it course i was a little sad that i "let it die" but when i did remove the rest of the shell the chick was deformed

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I would help. Esp. if other chicks are pecking at it. There is some excellent advice on how to help chicks out of the egg. Sometimes just opening up the pip a little more is all they need. We've helped a few chicks and they are no less healthy than the chicks that got themselves out. Incubation isn't a natural event, sometimes the reasons the chicks can't get out are man-made, so why should a hard line "its not natural to help" attitude be the right one?

Do what your gut tells you. My gut says, if someone seems otherwise healthy and I were in their position...I would want a little assistance.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree 100%
    I would help the little bugger by now. I know the guidelines but that's all they are. Just guidelines. Some people follow them to a T and others bend a little.
    Good luck!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If it has pipped and you try to help it hatch it may not live. I have helped chicks hatch that have been pipped for over 24 hrs, but it is tricky. You need to be very careful and start removing the shell leaving the membrane intact starting where the chick has pipped. Most often the chicks will die. If the chick is already partially zipped then it is safer. I usually put a cloth and paper towel on a heating pad and have a dish of warm water and q-tip or fingertip to keep the membrane soften.

Here is a good video.

This is BYC member needmorechickens helping twins hatch.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    It might be possible it can't turn due to the membrane being stuck to it. After 48 hrs and it still chirping, I think even I would help.
    Michele

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I would help it too...

8. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:I am curious to know if the twins survived... Do you know?

9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I helped him - kept him warm and moist while I picked tiny pieces of shell away - along the line the zip would've been. Once it was enough for him to emerge, I left him alone. He finished hatching by himself within a few minutes - He's still peeping and it doesn't look like he's deformed. It has been a couple hours and he's moving around a little but still is wet and resting most of the time. I also put the others in the brooder. They're loving the brooder! The one I helped is still in the bator - warm and cozy, and I hope he keeps getting stronger. I'm not sure he'll survive, but all I can do it wait and see how he does. I think I did the right thing in helping him because I don't think he would've ever hatched by himself - and at least now he's got a chance at living. We'll see. I actually said a prayer for him. [​IMG]

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sounds like you did the right thing. If he was strong enough to push out of the shell himself after you'd zipped it for him, I'd guess he should be okay. He'll probably be extra tired after trying to wriggle out for the last two days, so maybe give him a vitamin pick-me-up or some sugar water. But I bet he'll soon be as perky as the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by