Having a hard time telling - Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JustClucky2011, Jun 20, 2011.

1. JustClucky2011

JustClucky2011 New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    I have a 9 week old RIR chicken and a 6-7 week old Buff Orpington and I just cant be for sure if they are girls or boys. Im sure hoping for girls! I want egg layers not the other lol. Ive searched the web over and over and looked at photos and they just go back and forth on what each should look like so Im still at a loss on what I have. Does anyone have photos of this age range that knows for sure they have a pullet or a roo so I could compare? Im new so right now I can't post a photo of my chickens for anyone to tell me. Your help would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    there was so much confusion over my bantam RIR being a girl or a boy. We took her back to the breeder and she used a crystal on a string over her to 'make sure' lol my RIR looked just as amused/concerned as i did. But turned out the crystal was right in saying my chick was a girl! lol She still acts like a rooster and attacks the dogs if they get too close to any of the other girls! I'd post a photo but I only have pick of her at 6 weeks old, POL with her first egg, 1 year and yesterday at just over 2 years! So it doesn't really suit your age bracket.

Do they walk like a hen or strut like a cockerel? That can be a handy way to work it out. Maybe check youtube?

3. JustClucky2011

JustClucky2011 New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    Being my 1st time raising chickens Im not sure about the their walk. Ill have to check out youtube and see what I find there also! didnt think about checking there [​IMG]

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

By that age their combs and wattles should be obvious. Roosters will have a large RED comb and wattles. Pullets will have smaller combs, pink or yellowish, and probably no noticeable wattles yet.
    Hanging strings and crystals or magnets over the chick is just an old wive's tale. 50/50 chance of being correct [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by