having a little bit of trouble with my hovabator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sloallie10, Nov 6, 2010.

1. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    So, I am borrowing a hova bator styrofoam incubator from my friends. Last night i set it up and the temp was pretty steady at 99.5. I let it run over night and I woke up and it was at 99.5. This morning i put in the eggs. Little did I know that whenever i check it it is usually at 99.5 but sometimes when i check it it is at like 101, or 102. and it is really bugging me! It will go uppp, then go downnn, so what do i do? should this concern me?
    thanks so much guys!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Does this incubator have a fan? If not, then I would not worry about it at all, as the temp should around 101. If there is a fan, then it should hold around 99.5-100. I typically don't make any adjustments after I set eggs for a full 24 hours (unless it goes really crazy, which means I bumped something). I would leave it and see how things look after a full day of having time to adjust on its own.

3. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Yea, it does have a fan...

4. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    any help? it is still doing this!!

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Do you have the thermometer on top of the eggs now? If you had it on the bottom of the bator and then put it on the top of the eggs and got an increase...nothing has changed other than placement of the thermometer. It should be showing higher temps on top of the eggs and sounds as if it is just adjusting.

6. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    yes, it has been on top of the eggs this whole time. Do you think i should do anything??

7. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    Any adjustment you make do it real small and let it stablize then recheck it a few hours later.

8. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:Thats the problem. Im not adjusting it and it still goes up and down!

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Don't worry. It will take time for the eggs to warm up an stabilize. An if it still does that remember that's the temp of the air, the eggs change temp very slowly an will stay pretty stable.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  10. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:Ok! thank you
    should i worry if this goes on, and keeps going on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by