Having a LOT of trouble eating these fertile eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmychicknkids, Dec 19, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh my!!!! My poor little (little, as in HUGE) roo, Hansel. He was such a goofy, uncoordinated boy. He used to try and mate with my girls and they would sit with what appeared crossed legs, shrug him off, and then go off laughing with their friends. Well, he has blossomed. Big, stunning, and quite a hit with the ladies. I checked and my eggs are definitely fertile!!! Now the bator is screaming at me. I promised that I wouldn't hatch any more until Spring!!!! Please, someone save me from myself!!!!! With every egg I crack that horrible 80's era Debbie Gibson song "Could Have Been" pops into my head. I must maintain control!!!!

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I feel ya!

But after having babies in the bathroom for 2 months, I have learned my lesson!

It's nearly 80 here right now so they are outside, but I'll bet they'll be back in the house before winters over!

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:If they are 2 months, then leave them out regardless of the temperature drop. [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, that is why I am making mysellf wait!!! They will get my bathroom if I hatch them and I am ready to have it back!!! It is currently owned by a litter of stray kittens....as soon as they are re-homed I want it to be MINE again!!! LOL

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    "Could Have Been" was Tiffany. I know: I sang it in a school solo!! [​IMG]

If the fertile eggs are calling to your bator, can you separate out the roo for a while so you don't get fertile eggs (remove the temptation!!).

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh my goodness!!!!! You are so right!!!! I should have consulted my husband (he knows ALL those old singers)!!! LOL Well, I really like having him with them and they have bonded so well. I will just have to make sure I don't give in. [​IMG]

7. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I have showgirl babies and they get really cold sometimes. They have started doing ok at 60 degrees, but my fully naked neck I work about him. I would rather have them safe inside if it goes colder than that then worry about them.

8. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    LOL i know how ya feel Christy

i get 40+ fertile eggs a day from my chickens and the temptation kills me you just gotta walk to your bator throw your hand out and yell STOP NO! LOL

but why take my advice ... i have eggs coming in the mail LOL

9. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

OMG send them my way, I have 3 more empty bators just a sitting doing nothing. LOL

10. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, Mark, just knowing how much you hatch makes you no help at all!!!!! Thankfully, we have been below freezing a LOT lately, so ordering eggs has not been a temptation at all....I just look and dream of Spring. These are right in my face!!!!! What do you have coming???? You have a serious problem with this, you know!!! LOL

LOL....yeah, JMajors......but then I would come kidnap (or chickienap I guess) the babies later!!!! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by