Having a problem keeping my chicken off the hanging feeder? help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sdsharko, Jul 27, 2011.

1. sdsharko

sdsharko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    I have one of my girls that loves to sit on top of the hanging feeder, and I dont want her to do her business in the food for obvious reasons. Has anybody else expirenced this, and what is the fix?

2. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    We put a the large dish ( like the ones your potted plants go on to keep the water from draining everywhere) on top of the feeder so it hung over the food. So if they jump up on there they can do their buisness and not dirty the food. That was our quick fix we are hoping to invent some kinda feeder to help with this. [​IMG]

3. sdsharko

Jul 13, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    thank you for your help, I'm only 3days into this and have alot of goofy questions.

4. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    That is fine because most likely someone else is wanting to ask the same question. Good Luck.

5. bullpup95

bullpup95 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Vancleave, MS
    Fabricate a cone type cover to go over the top, they will no longer roost on it. Thin sheet galv steel or if inside the coop even heavy cardboard or card stock depending on the size of the container. I use cardstock in my brooder boxes to keep the girls off their waterers and feeders.

6. TerryLou

TerryLou Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    I was thinking about trying a tinfoil pie pan.

7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

A large funnel or gallon milk jug with the bottom cut out. run the rope or chain up through the opening and hang as usual.

1 person likes this.
  8. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    we shove bits of cardboard cut to the right size over the feeders, they poop on them, we toss them in the compost and cut another bit to go on top of the feeders

...also, we find that really only the babies do it, though we did have one little lakenvelder that loved to lay eggs in there if the food was low enough.

9. sdsharko

Jul 13, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    Thanks for all the advice, going to see what I can come up with after work.

10. sdsharko

Jul 13, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    Went with heavy card board since a package had just arrived ups. So far so good, great site and great advice for us newbies. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by