Having A Problem Raising Meat Birds Week 3...Please I Need Help

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mtnhomechick, Aug 23, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I am having a problem with a few things but mostly feeding. I have 4 different large feeders out there for 20 meat birds. My problem is that they eat out of these feeders until about half gone and then lay on them and of course poop on them. The feeders become dirty and humid and the rest of the feed goes to waste. Not to mention that some of these birds don't lay on the feeders but can't seem to get to the food because the rest are laying on the feeders.

These birds are so dirty I can't believe it. My layers are right next to them and their run is clean as can be expected from a chicken but the meat birds run is all poop and food crumbles and stinks to the high heavens. I clean it every day as best I can. Am I doing something wrong? This is my first experience with cornish x.

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Raise the feeders to a bit higher than back level so they can't sit and eat. They'll have to stand so will eat less gluttonously and have less leg problems too.

They will poo a lot since they'll eat as much each as it would take you to raise each of those layers you have to laying.

3. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Thanks, will do that first thing tomorrow. I am kind of down about starting this mess, but I like the IDEA of it. How did you handle this the first time? I thoroughly enjoy my REAL chickens, LOL.

4. silkiechicken

I knew they'd be a mess, they lived in a movable tractor, and free ranged after a few weeks. That's how :p

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Even tho I have all the outdoor cats ( that I inherited from my neighbor ) the chickens could possibly free range here. But my neighbors dog would kill and eat them in a heartbeat. I have too many roaming dogs around. I so wish I could free range.

Well, you must have thought it was worthwhile............hope I have a good ending here.

Thanks SC

6. silkiechicken

Just lots of cleaning if you can't free range them or scoot them around in a tractor. Keep the feed up high and make them "work" for their food by standing and walking between food and water. I do small numbers (4-8) so it's not as bad when I do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by