Having a runt or am I expecting too much too fast?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nietz, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Nietz

Nietz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    New England
    Hi, This is my first go at chicks and we picked up 8 birds last Friday, 3 Tetra browns, 3 Leghorns and 2 Barred Rocks. The Leghorns are the biggest of the group and judging on the size and how many wing feathers they have at this point I believe they are older than the others. The Tetras are almost as bug as the leghorns and seem to be growing at the same rate maybe a day or 2 behind as far as age, One of the Barred Rocks is right there too and is about the same size as the Tetras, same size feathers etc to this point but one of the rocks is so tiny!

The smaller barred rock is a fair amount smaller than the other one and a lot smaller than the leghorns, am I worrying for no good reason about the size difference? is there such a thing as a runt? or should I be concerned about the slower growth rate of the one chick?

I am really hoping she is just a runt because as far as personality goes that one seems to be my favorite so far and I'd hate for it to have an issue.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
    Nietz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Quote:Hi @Nietz, and :welcome, glad you joined us. With hens, there is always a pecking order, usually the smaller ones are at the bottom. I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on on the little chick, and see what happens. Good luck P.S. Leghorns are usually naturally larger, so they a going to be larger no matter what. Plus, I'm thinking they ARE a little older.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    A couple possibilities: 1. came out of a smaller egg. I've hatched smaller eggs before with similar size differences. They do catch up. 2. maybe someone put a bantam chick in instead of a standard- 3. just younger than the rest as evidenced by the lack of feathers right now. As long as it's eating, pooping and playing like everyone else, it will be fine and will catch up eventually. If it is a bantam, that will become obvious.

1 person likes this.
  4. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Quote:Yeah, good advice. I totally forgot about the bantam concept! lol

5. Nietz

Nietz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    New England
    A bantam mixed in could be fun! either way I just hope she is just smaller and there are no issues and you've convinced me to not worry about it ;) Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by