having a stinking day

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by priszilla, Jun 9, 2008.

1. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    Just finsihed getting all the chicks outside in their temporary ( not predator proof) pens for some fresh air and sunshine ( and 95 degree heat) so I cna clean their their indoor brooders later when it cools off to reasonable- when I notice a black stick moving in the grass. SO that is why the eggs are so scarce- I grab the tail- and pull the snake out of mouse hole he is headed own .. and pull .. and pull- I have about 8 inches of snake above my hand and by the time I am done- my arm is straight out from my shoulder and the snake's head nearly touches the ground. I am 5 foot 7. this snake is 5 foot long!!!and so fat my hand does not completely close around him!-- so what does mr. snake do???? he musks me. I now smell to high heavens- It will not wash off. I have used all the baking soda, all the vinegar, all the body wash-LOL
    but in the snake battle I notice something worse-- the head-- and only the head- of my sweet little crested mallard. Other than a few feathers- that is all I found of her. I moved the live trap-Will fill it with marshmallows this time. THe tuna was ignored. I hate that I put the babies outside now- but I am too hot to bring them back in right now. THis has been a stinky day

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That sucks..so sorry...sounds like a hawk got her and the rat was making off with her head when the snake found the rat.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am so sorry about your loss and your lousy day![​IMG] I hope it gets better.[​IMG]

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    this recipe is used to get skunk smell off dogs--it might work...

1 cup water
    1/2 baking soda
    1 tsp dish soap

Mix well, then when ready to use, add 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide. Wash area, avoiding eyes etc. Rinse with clean water.

That might help. And get that snake!!!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ewww... [​IMG]

6. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    What kind of snake, I am so scared of snakes.

I did not know they could spray? This is just so sad. Poor babies.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That recipe above works WELL We use it all the time for our dogs...normal to get sprayed by skunk now for them!

8. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:I second that, I had no idea that snakes could spray any type of musk and I used to catch and play with garter snakes and king snakes all the time as a kid. I've seen them spit, so where do they shoot the musk from?

9. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Try tomato juice, old time cure for skunks,

10. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    It was a nice black rat snake-but it can be a nice snake over at the woodpile where I have no chicks or eggs.unfortunately my day hasn't gotten better really.I had to go do "stuff" and when I finally got home- a little chick that had been trying to die for a few days-succeeded- drowned himself in the waterer (which was a tiny lid-He was so tiny I was afraid to use a regular waterer even with marbles.I don't mind snakes-or spiders or even raccoons and hawks--just not near my chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by