Having a very hard time identifying my birds, need help.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BukBukMama, Aug 25, 2013.

1. BukBukMama

BukBukMama Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    Kingwood, WV
    I need to get some pictures... I have 35 birds, 20 of which are white, which I bought on clearance from the farm store. There must be 3 different breeds, some are laying, I get large brown, large white, and small dark brown eggs. From what I've read and seen, I'm guessing (i'm no expert that's for sure) that I've got a mix of leghorns, white rocks, and chanteclairs. I'll have to get pictures so you guys can help me out!!!! Some have large combs, others hardly any comb at all. Some have red earlobes, some white.

My other birds I bought from the hatchery, the hatchery said they're black giants, but their skin is pink and not yellow. Is there a variation of black jersey giant that has pinkish skin? These birds are young, just under 4 months old.

If anyone can offer me guidance on how to identify my birds, or can point me in the right direction (esp after i get pics up) I would very much appreciate your help!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Yes, post some pics and we'll give you some guesses.

3. BukBukMama

May 29, 2013
    Kingwood, WV
    Got my camera working, and got LOTS of pics!!! :D Please help me ID these birds!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BukBukMama

May 29, 2013
    Kingwood, WV
    Got em!! :D

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say that the white hens with red earlobes are White rocks and the ones with white earlobes are White Leghorns. If you ordered the black chickens as Black Jersey Giants then they should be BJGs I don't think that the foot ID always works, some of them could be Black Australorps as well. Are the white hens all white, is the brown coloring on their feathers just dirt?

6. BukBukMama

May 29, 2013
    Kingwood, WV
    The brown is just dirt, many were taking a dust bath right before I took the pics, the soil here in WV is sticky clay. lol :) thank you very much, I've been wondering!
    The other opinion I got was the black ones were an australorpe and BJG cross. I'm no expert, I'm pretty new, though my birds seem happy and healthy :) Those roos already weigh about 12 pounds, and were hatched 5/13 this year. They're all pretty friendly and laid back, they're great birds! I'm happy, I was afraid the hatchery had sent me the wrong birds, and I REALLY wanted the jersey giants. :)

7. BukBukMama

May 29, 2013
    Kingwood, WV
    I am so sad to say that only days after these pics were taken, a mountain cat got into my chicken coop and killed all but 8 of my beautiful birds. :( It busted a hole in the roof of all places! The coop is unusable, my poor birds are in the basement for now until I can put up a new coop come spring. :(
    Anyone have any advice on how to keep away the big predators?

8. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]I don't live in a rural place and the only predators I have to deal with are hawks, raccoons, and sometimes foxes. You could try animal urine, but I don't know how effective it is, here are some links that might help (most of them talk about smaller predators though):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/keeping-your-chickens-safe-from-predators
    http://www.scwildliferescue.org/Predator_Proofing.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/chicken-predators/
    I hope this helps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by