Songster
Apr 3, 2015
Claxton, Ga
Total panick moments going through my head "why did I want chickens?"
"What was I thinking?"
"I need to sell them"
"but I would miss Rose sitting on my shoulder"
"oh but I so won't miss the poo!"
"I need to decide before building the coop" etc etc etc!

I love them! I've wanted chickens for a long time now. Maybe I'm just tired of them being inside but I'm a worry momma and don't want to leave the brooder outside at night so I drag it in and out and in and out oey they are getting big and heavy! I'm single so no one to help. Sometimes I feel like I am not spending as much time with my dog because I either go ride my horse or mess with the chickens. Even though my dog goes with me to the barn and loves that we don't play fetch like we used to. And now that summer is here in rattlesnake country we have to be careful where we walk and don't need to go hiking in the woods behind us anymore.

I know I'm not the only one who has struggled with this kind of thoughts.

Deep breath -
It sounds like maybe this wasn't the best thought out venture, and that is certainly a recipe for becoming overwhelmed. Have you started construction or have a plan for their permanent housing arrangement (coop/run)? Ultimately, only you can decide if you want to do this or not - but know that there is not one reason (even in what you posted) that you can't do it if you want to.

Howdy kristaschics15

I agree with Ol Grey Mare; deep breath and if you want to do this, you can.

When you have their accommodation sorted you may find it not quite so overwhelming.

Once you have provided them with somewhere safe to live and ensure their health and food/water needs are met; how much of your time your chickens will take up is really up to you.

Before chickens, I spent my weekends inside, cleaning, washing etc ready for the start of the work week and my house was always spotless … now I have chickens, I spend the majority of my weekend and afternoons in the garden with them. Granted, the house is not as spotless as it used to be but the garden sure looks good
wink.png

I work from home and this week has been a bad one with regards work and lots of issues have meant that I have not been able to get away from my desk before the gals have gone to bed! I got to give them breakfast in the morning and have a quick chat with them but I have missed them so much! The truth be told, they probably have not missed me at all!

They have probably been quite happy wandering around without me stalking their every move!

I have two indoor cats who have access to an outdoor run and I ensure that they get just as much loving as the chickens.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that there may be a period of adjustment but once you get yourself into a routine, things should settle a bit.

At first I was overwhelmed with my chickens. The coop wasn't ready and they were picking on each other a bit. We got it worked out and the coop build. We still add things here and there but my chickens are old enough now they aren't much work.

The days I am overwhelmed now I just sit down and watch my crazy, brilliant, dumb animals it grounds me. (Sorry if I've offended anyone for calling chickens dumb but they are so smart and so dumb all in one and it makes me laugh).

I always try to do things perfect so I overwhelm myself. Balance will come but it won't be perfect because life isn't perfect. Breathe deep and be calm. It will work out. And if you decide chickens aren't your thing you will figure it out.

Tee hee BlessedCountry6

No offence taken here .. in total agreeance!

These chickens of ours are so clever when it comes to some things but so silly with regards to others.

They sure do make me chuckle when they freak out because I am wearing a bright shirt they have not seen before, of if a stranger comes to the house, but plonk a great big inflatable pool in the middle of the garden and they act like it has always been there!

My recent little bubs followed mum down the ramp to the run every morning but do you think they could work out how to follow her back up?

When I am mowing the lawns I can see them freaking out and doing the “make it stop”, “make it stop” but throw in a handful of lawn clippings .. “lawnmower? What lawnmower?”

A whole cob of corn in the run is a "chicken trap!" but a handful of corn off the cob is to die for!

Sorry kristaschics15 I did not mean to take over your thread but I just had to respond
wink.png

If it helps at all, the joyous moments far outweigh any anxious ones! No matter how bad my day is, I can guarantee that within minutes of walking into the garden, my gals have me smiling
smile.png

PS. They can also tell time ... 15mins until I knock off work and they have just started demanding to be let out for a free range.

I'm in the same boat. You are not alone! :) I love them, but I'm kind of tired of them right at the moment, lol. :) I am 99% positive that it's mostly that I'm just tired of them being in the house. I'm tired of carrying them all out to the run every day (the run is completed enough for them to be in it, but the coop itself isn't finished), I'm tired of the dust, I'm tired of the smell, I'm just tired I think, lol. :) I'm not single but my husband works a lot, so I do just about everything for the chickens. Which is fine, but I'm pretty ready for them to be big enough to free range on my lot at this point. I feel like this is the in-between stage, and I know that I will get past it, just gotta get over this hurdle. :)

Tee hee BlessedCountry6

No offence taken here .. in total agreeance! 

These chickens of ours are so clever when it comes to some things but so silly with regards to others.

They sure do make me chuckle when they freak out because I am wearing a bright shirt they have not seen before, of if a stranger comes to the house, but plonk a great big inflatable pool in the middle of the garden and they act like it has always been there!

My recent little bubs followed mum down the ramp to the run every morning but do you think they could work out how to follow her back up?

When I am mowing the lawns I can see them freaking out and doing the “make it stop”, “make it stop” but throw in a handful of lawn clippings .. “lawnmower? What lawnmower?”

A whole cob of corn in the run is a "chicken trap!" but a handful of corn off the cob is to die for!

Sorry kristaschics15 I did not mean to take over your thread but I just had to respond ;)

If it helps at all, the joyous moments far outweigh any anxious ones!  No matter how bad my day is, I can guarantee that within minutes of walking into the garden, my gals have me smiling :)

PS.  They can also tell time ... 15mins until I knock off work and they have just started demanding to be let out for a free range.

Teila, lol. Exactly. A few yes back we started making changes to stop the negative and focus on the positive. Unknown to me my hubby thought that getting chickens was a horrid idea. He never told me. I learned it when he talked to other ppl.
I have been working in the mornings and I felt the extra work on him was stressing him. I told him we could sell some to thin our flock. He was all offended I said such things. Lol.
It was a stress for a while but now our lives are richer. He even went forward with getting some cows. I have not seen him so happy. It all started with some chickens and now our little piece of country is such a beautiful and peaceful place!
It took work and we got through the hard stuff.

My chickens also freak over the mower but love the clippings. They also love corn and went to town on my neighbors stalks they cut down and were going to burn before I rescued them and tossed them to the chickens. Lol.

One thing to consider - you may not be as "alone" as you think in dealing with all of this. Have you spent much time in the "local" thread for your state here on BYC? I know that on the thread for the state I am in there have been work party things planned to help one member or another - that's the beauty of being surrounded by fellow chicken folk here on BYC, when needed we can pull together to get things done. GA is a bit far from me, but I would bet you can find a person or two in your more immediate area who could help you with a work day to get things started for your chicks to have a permanent home outside.

I have been overwhelmed in a similar way many times (usually related to unexpectedly rescuing dogs/litters). I have learned to just take it "one day at a time" as things DO settle down and get easier albeit sometimes slowly.

Come up with a temporary coop plan and start working on it. You can make it in such a way that allows you to expand later. Don't over think it just use some common sense.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I am a worrier. I worry that something will sneak into my coop somehow (impossible, unless they bring a chainsaw), I worry that Dorothy won't stop picking Doris on the head just cuz......my husband puts up with my schemes, and he actually tells his friends how cool the girls are - but of course doesn't tell me. I decided I needed a rooster, after rehoming Larry last summer because he crowed too much. Well that backfired, and now Harold crows more than Larry did! Oh well ;). I think for me it's a matter of balance. Are they a pain sometimes? Oh yeah! Do I spend way too much time thinking, breathing, and obsessing about all things chicken? You betcha! But the joy and peace and amusement they bring is well worth every bit of grief. My husband and I are empty nesters, and I am a geriatric nurse, so I guess mothering and fussing and taking care of things is just who I am. I wouldn't change it for anything. First and foremost, my girls (and Harold) are my beloved pets.

Hang in there, it gets better. And if it doesn't, if you decide chickens just aren't your thing, then that's fine too. You gave it a whirl. I can't even count the number of times my "projects" have been epic fails. So you learn from the experience and move on. Nothin' wrong with that!

Back
Top Bottom