Having Buff Laced Brahmas shipped this time of year.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jamesnoldsr, Nov 5, 2011.

1. jamesnoldsr

jamesnoldsr Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Central Texas
    I bought some buff laced brahmas from a lady in WA. Chicks took two days to get here to Texas and they have not done well since. I've been losing one or two every couple of days and I can only surmise that it was the hard shipping that is causing my fatalities. The brooder is warm, the food and water plentiful. But they were in bad shape when they got here. She shipped them with a few orange pieces and some grapes in a little box with air holes. I got some other chicks shipped from FL and they were older, (BLBrahmas were day old to two to three days old) and they were in a New Horizon box. Much better. I am thinking about getting some more Buff Laced and having them shipped. Would better shipping accomodations improve my survival rate? I orig got 19 total BLB and Gold Laced Brahamas and 7 were DOA. I have, I think, 6 left? It's very disheartening.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

i would put some vitamins in the water. [​IMG] this is happened to you!!

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG] I am very sorry this is happening to you. [​IMG]

4. jamesnoldsr

jamesnoldsr Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Central Texas
    Thanks guys!

5. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Quote:Citris is bad for chicks...

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Im not trying to add pain to whats already happened but isn't there a very large chicken hatchery some where in TX? I think there is and if you add more birds in the future it is said that order them from as close as possible bc of the stress. I went locally to a couple of farms and ended up with picking them out of a yard in a open range farmer and it took us almost an hour to corral 3 from him for $12 it didn't seem worth it but he put up with me and guaranteed if any were roos he would exchange something close in age. Then at the other place The Urban Farm they were local and we picked through a window. I liked the fact that they put on disposable gloves catching my girls and said 90% chance of being girl and we had no roos at all. If we wanted a specific breed they would call the distributor and ask when and you come and get the birds No minimums at either place no shipping stress no guessing when they would arrive I put them in the coop in the day all spring and in summer they were out there and that was it. Very simple transition. Sorry about how many you lost. Wow how sad for the company that you did biz with that they would allow this to happen not only to you but to their reputation?

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:First, [​IMG] so sorry for what has been going on with your chicks (to the OP) but to the quoted person, I'm sorry but there's a big difference between wanting Buff Laced or even Gold Laced Brahmas, and, erm, hatchery birds. Sorry.

Shipping chicks this late can indeed do some stress, but I'd say there might be more to it than that. My advice would be to either get them from someone else or try another time of year. It's up to your judgement in trusting the breeder for a second round.

8. jebfarm

jebfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    urbana, oh
    i have some nice buff bantams for sale at the ohio national.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by