having chiggers and remaining sane...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 3goodeggs, Sep 14, 2010.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    ..is is possible? I have about two hundred, just on knees and below. [​IMG] ...stupid hiking...stupid hiker (me) forgot the sulfur...I think I have used a tube of cortaid already. Other than skin grafts what do I do? [​IMG]

Help? What do you all do?

2. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Dig'em out with a pitchfork?

3. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I just about have. whiiiiiiine. [​IMG]

4. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    a super hot (almost scalding) bath (don't sit in it , just ur knees) with lots of epsum salt mixed in. That should help with the itching as well as maybe kill the little buggers.
    Barring that a real thick layer of vaseline to smother them.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What I did when I was a kid was paint them with nail polish. However, this is toxic and so the vaseline idea someone suggested sounds better!

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My old farmer neighbor swears by Windex. I tried it and it seemed to help. I think it is the ammonia that actually does the trick.

I strongly considered amputation myownself. [​IMG]

7. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I think I am going to go scald them off of me now. I counted 45 welts just on one knee. I guess I knelt in a patch of hatching mites.
    Then, maybe a couple classes of wine. Taken internally. [​IMG]

I have ammonia. I'll gas them, then scald them..then smother them, and THEN intoxicate them. Yea, that's my plan.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  8. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    What in the world is a chigger?!

9. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I have heard wash the area in a solution of bleach and water, but you use that when you first get them. After they have dug in and got you itching like fire, you could try Chigger X, or Absorbine Jr (it has menthol and is very cooling, I also use this on poison Ivy). I have heard Chigger X is good on poison ivy too. Wear long socks and/or pants to not make the area not so accessible to scratching. I am soooo sorry, because I know just how you feel. Chiggers LOVE me! They find me out of a crowd of thousands and attack only me! I hate them!! Death to chiggers! They are evil! (Ok, slap self to regain sanity.)

10. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Oy, you lucky person you. to not be aware of the evil mite baby.
    It is the larval stage of scrub mites. They spit into you and causes your own cells to form some sort of
    tube...a straw, so they can eat for a couple days. then they drop off and leave you for MONTHS-YEARS-actually 2-3 weeks with an itch that...makes a grown woman cry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by