Having hens hatch eggs, random ramblings

First build a broody cage in an area where everyone can see everyone. Mine have a nest area with food and water and a door that I open in the morning to a very small run for my broody to stretch her legs, graze on some grass and do her business when she takes her daily break.
Once you are sure you have a broody hen, move her and her fake eggs into the broody cage at night. Give her a few days to insure she will remain broody and collect or however you wish to get eggs to place under her.
Place the real eggs and remove the fake eggs, again at night.
Keep an eye on them, but just let momma do her thing (unless she is no longer sitting on the nest or damaging the eggs). In about 21 days you should have baby chicks.
Good luck, let me know if I can give you additional info on when the eggs are hatching, or after they hatch and normal momma chick behavior. :hugs
Welcome :frow To BYC @Bird fanatic

First build a broody cage in an area where everyone can see everyone. Mine have a nest area with food and water and a door that I open in the morning to a very small run for my broody to stretch her legs, graze on some grass and do her business when she takes her daily break.
Once you are sure you have a broody hen, move her and her fake eggs into the broody cage at night. Give her a few days to insure she will remain broody and collect or however you wish to get eggs to place under her.
Place the real eggs and remove the fake eggs, again at night.
Keep an eye on them, but just let momma do her thing (unless she is no longer sitting on the nest or damaging the eggs). In about 21 days you should have baby chicks.
Good luck, let me know if I can give you additional info on when the eggs are hatching, or after they hatch and normal momma chick behavior. :hugs
Thank you I have had a mama hatch some before in the same type of cage and such but ended up trampling them, so I have forbidden letting jersey Giants hatch bantam eggs šŸ¤£

I took the lazy approach. I let my broodies sit on their eggs with the rest of the flock. Only 25 birds. On day two of a broody hen, I check if she plucked feathers out of her belly, and if she did, I mark the eggs. Some days I have to put her back on the right eggs due to being kicked out by others. But with them marked, I know which were sat on and which to remove. So far Iā€™ve had decent success, with little to no work involved.

Back
Top Bottom