Having INCREDIBLY hard time finding bantams. Tips?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by BackyardBantams, Nov 19, 2011.

1. BackyardBantams

BackyardBantams Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Raleigh
    So I've been looking for some egg laying bantams (currently have two, RIR and Barred Rock. They lay on alternating days so I get an egg every day.) for almost 3 months. All I've been able to find are silkies, silkies, and more silkies. And when I ask people who raise chickens in general, I always get the, "You're stupid if you think you're going to get eggs from bantams. They only lay about 50 eggs a year." I've had my two girls for about 4 months and have gotten more than 50 eggs from the RIR already.... I live in Raleigh, North Carolina. If anyone knows anything about any bantam breeders or chicken farms that may have bantams or ANYTHING, I would really appreciate a heads up. Cause this search is getting FRUSTRATING.

You can either just reply here or send me an email.

[email protected]

Oh btw, the Barred Rock just started laying last week. I was so excited!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I have bantam cochins and they lay about 4-5 eggs a week. [​IMG] They are a good size, too!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Bantams do lay eggs pretty regularly, though almost all of mine quit for the winter. One reason why someone might think that they don't lay much is because they tend to go broody more often than their LF counterparts. A broody hen doesn't lay eggs [​IMG]

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I got my bantams from Ideal Poultry, but I have seen some BYCers put some bantam hatching eggs in auctions. Also have seen hatching eggs through eBay. I Guess it would depend on the time of year and where you live. My bantams are OEGB and they tend to me seasonal layer. Some breeds are more towards production, but I think most are breed for exhibition and hobby.

5. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Get welsummer bantams they lay like sex links

6. BackyardBantams

BackyardBantams Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Raleigh
    I've seen a couple of things around for cochins. Do they lay through the winter?

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine don't, not much anyway. I don't think I have any bantams who do.
    You could always get some LF OEG hens, they lay (and brood, and hatch, and...) all year round, they aren't humongous hens either, so won't eat you out of your life savings!

8. luckypickens

luckypickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    Quote:My cochin bantams lay great all winter, but I keep lights on them just like I do my big layers. I love them!

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:My cochin bantams lay great all winter, but I keep lights on them just like I do my big layers. I love them!

I don't keep lights on anything, but my OEG still lay like crazy birds all winter long. I've had several hatch chicks in the middle of January, they don't really care about the 'seasons' [​IMG]

10. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Am I lucky? These girls
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lay these eggs:
    [​IMG]

they are tiny little bantam Rosecomb/Silkie crosses. From 6 laying hens I have 3 to 6 eggs per day. I am lucky. Here's a new one on my shoulder, so you can see their size
    [​IMG]

But the eggs are pretty much average eggs, its a little shocking to think those teensy little chickens produce regular eggs, but they do. Just, not HUGE eggs. Average to medium eggs.

I really hope you can find what you're looking for. I wonder if mine lay a lot because they're crosses? Not purebreds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by