Having issues hatching under hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Willie84, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Willie84

Willie84 In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2016
    Australia
    so lately I have had problems getting my broody hens to hatch eggs. I'm now thinking it's me not the birds. I have had 3 hatch out of 24 eggs. With two different hens. Are there any tips that someone can share to ensure I get a better hatch rate

2. SeaPolka

SeaPolka Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    I'm guessing you had twelve under each hen? A problem there could be that they couldn't cover them all. Did you candle them? Where were the hens brooding? What kind of set up do you have for them?

3. Willie84

Willie84 In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2016
    Australia
    IMG_3676.JPG Yes I have had twelve under each. As soon as I know the hens are ready and won't leave the nest I put them in the brooder under the main coop. This space is roughly 1.5 x 1.5 meters. The hen is separated from
    The others during this time. The food is away from her so she has to leave the nest to feed. I have not candled the eggs as I believe that last time I did that, IMG_3677.JPG IMG_3678.JPG IMG_3679.JPG I may have effected their out come. I have just let them do their thing. The first hen that sat only hatched 2 and previously she has hatched 10. The most recent hen only hatched one, ate three 4 eggs and it is her first time as a mum. Both sets of eggs came from different suppliers as I have no rooster. It has stunned me, truly. I have added some photos so that you can see the set up.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    I think changing the shape and size of the nest may help. Nest should be slightly dish shaped not flat like that.
    Karen

5. SeaPolka

SeaPolka Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    Your setup looks good but I think it may just be down to fertility or hatch rate. Your hens look big enough to cover all the eggs. Candling won't harm the eggs, it will in fact save some. If you have a bad egg that explodes it will cover the other eggs in bacteria. You only need to candle then say, day nine or ten. Then you know if it was down to fertility or hatch rate and can let the seller know

6. Willie84

Willie84 In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2016
    Australia
    So are you saying it should be deeper and round?

7. Willie84

Willie84 In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2016
    Australia
    There was egg all over the nest at one point. Is this an egg explosion or possibly a hungry mother hen?

8. SeaPolka

SeaPolka Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    I've had my hens break eggs before but not one explode. If it exploded it will smell because its rotten. A hen won't eat her own eggs she's brooding unless they've broken

9. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    How old is your rooster? Some roosters start loosing fertility after a few years (3-4 years).

10. Willie84

Willie84 In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2016
    Australia
    I don't have a rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: