Having nightmares past week...(lengthy)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 77horses, Dec 1, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Last week, I had three horrible nightmares about our chickens.

Nightmare #1. We(siblings and I) were at mom's house, and our two baby chicks(Raven and Pumpkin) were running around outside. I was in the living room, watching them, when I suddenly saw a weasel out in the woods, sneaking up on them! I yelled to my brother, "Get the baby chicks!" and we grabbed them and brought them outside. But the weasel kept sitting outside, watching for them. So we went out and ran at it and scared it away, but we were afraid that it may come back and get the chicks. then I woke up.

Nightmare #2. I was at my dad's house and it was like night time. All the chickens were in their coops. I went out to the garage coop, and Pumpkin was out there! She had gotten out of her brooder box. I noticed she had blood on her feathers. One of the Buff Orpington pullets(Caramel) was gone! I was saying, "Dad! I think the weasel got the chicken!" In that same nightmare, it was night again. The weasel had struck again! But this time Foghorn(our young roo) had attacked it and none of the hens were missing. Then I woke up.

Nightmare #3. I was at my dad's house. It was night time(again)and all was quiet. Suddenly I heard noises so i went out to the outside coop to check on the chickens. My hen, Cinnamon, was gone! There were feathers everywhere. I was crying and thinking that this couldn't happen. Then I noticed that Linda was gone, too! It was very scary and felt so real. Then I woke up.

Ever since these nightmares, I have had worries about our chickens. The chickens in the garage coop are safe, but I REALLY worry about the chickens in the outside coop. [​IMG] Last year, a weasel got into that same coop and got my most loved hen(and she was my first hen to ever have) Apricot. And it got her sister Peach, and our rooster, Seth. We were devastated. But the weasel disappeared and hasn't been seen since then.
    I think that my fears of the weasel are showing through my sleep. What does this mean? I worry that the weasel will come back and attack the hens again. Sometimes when i call my dad, i half expect him to say, "The weasel got the chickens". It sends a chill through me. Plus, to add to the worry, the coop has NOT been fixed since the last weasel attack last Spring. It can get in whenever it feels like it really. The only thing to protect the hens and RIR rooster is if our dad hears something out there and catches the weasel in time, or the hens stay safely up on the perch, or RIR rooster attacks it and scares it away. Other than that, they are an easy target. I'm so worried about them! Yes, I bet you guys are thinking, "Why don't you just fix up the coop and make it safe?" well, i have tried to ask dad to help do it, but he says that it's fine and we can wait til spring to fix it. But what if by spring the weasel attacks??? I'm so worried! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The garage coop(with the two buff pullets and the cochin roo) is safe. We CAN'T move the red stars and RIR rooster from the outside coop to the inside one because they would get in a fight with each other. we have no other spare coops.
    Baby chicks are safe in the brooder box.

What do I do? are my nightmares telling me something??? [​IMG]
    Thanks!
    (Sorry this is so long) [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Go fix the coop yourself. If dad objects, tell him it is affecting your sleep and health worrying about it. He will probably help you finish the repair. Then go get a good night's sleep.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:fear of the weasel is showing through, And most likely you will not get over it until the coop is fixed,

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Ya that's what I want to do. Even though I'm pretty young to be fixing up the coop myself, I will do it for my hen and the others. Dad will probably help.
    But how can I fix it in the first place? The floor is pretty weak and can easily be chewed through, and there are several or more chipmunk holes under the coop. One hole goes right up through the coop and inside because chipmunks use that hole to get in and steal the chicken's food. [​IMG] Also, The walls need fixing because they are starting to rot.
    The coop is like this because it's pretty old. Used to be a coal house thing, where you could store it in winter for the fire. We used it for storage, then cleaned it out and turned it into a coop, with three nest boxes and perches and everything.
    Thanks for the responses!

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Ohhh wait.... my dad says that once the garage is cleaned out more(lots of boxes and stuff) we can start another coop in there maybe? [​IMG] mmm...But until then i guess they will have to just stay in that coop.
    I haven't had the nightmares since last week, but i still worry about it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by