Having problems introducing Bantams with bigger birds...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken_Lover_2010, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Chicken_Lover_2010

Chicken_Lover_2010 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Hey, so I am new to owning chickens. I have done a lot of research, but I am having a little trouble figuring out how to introduce younger birds to older ones. I bought some Rhode Island Reds, ISA Browns and Barred Rocks at the same time, but my friend had some of their Bantam eggs hatch, I thought they were so cute, so I bought some off of him. Well now I am trying to introduce them to the older ones and I am having a little bit of a problem. I have been putting the Bantams in a run right next to the big ones for almost a week now, hoping that they would get use to each other, but I am still seeing the big ones pecking through the fencing at the Bantams. If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    House them next to each other for a few weeks (it takes longer than 1 week). You will still have to keep a close eye when you introduce them because they will never be the same size, but, eventually all the complaining will calm down. Keep at it.

Just noticed your post count. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. Chicken_Lover_2010

Chicken_Lover_2010 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Thanks I will try that

4. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm in the same boat and very worried about putting banties and bigger birds together! I wish us both luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  5. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Same here, I'm afraid that my big orps would just obliterate the banties. So I decided to wait until next spring and see how the orpingtons deal with the EEs over winter.

6. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    The size makes no difference whatsoever. It's like dogs - they have no idea how big or small they are. I have a single bantam hen in with 3 light brahmas and 5 easter eggers (all HUGE) and she's 1/4 their size. She rules that coop with an iron fist!!!! She's very tough.

Of course, when I put her in there she was older than the others, so if anything age/experience may have more to do with it than size. In fact, in every coop where I have a bantam mixed in with standard sized hens the bantam takes over. [​IMG]

7. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    very good to know! I did not want to pitch a pup tent and supervise fights for a week! The banties have been there for yrs the others are 4mos old but BCM and Welsummers, big birds, I have one tiny banty roo the thinks he is King Kong ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by