Having someone come out Friday to check my chickens; Pullorum-Typhoid.?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by XavCas, Jan 16, 2013.

1. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    I have a couple of questions and it has been really worrying me lately. I have a vet coming out Friday morning who is going to check all my chickens and ducks ( for free. ) to see if they have any issues, and mainly Pullorum-Typhoid disease since I am showing in the fair this year. I was just worried because I wanted to see how common it was for a chicken / duck to have it.. and if you guys could give me a little bit more information on it.. and if mine may have it.? I take good care of them, and make sure everything is clean; coops, water, food, etc. And also if they do have it, do they have to be put down.? I would be devasted if they did... :/ I am just hoping everything goes well then. I am guessing since I found mine, they could have anything in their systems.. I HOPE they are all 100% though c:

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Good luck. Wish I had an answer.

3. XavCas

Oct 18, 2012
    Thank you.!

4. XavCas

Oct 18, 2012
    Bumping, I need answers D:

5. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Pullorum and Fowl Typhoid are now very rare in the US and have been eliminated in commercial flocks, as far as I know. According to my reading, the last outbreak of FT in the US was in 1980. Pullorum may still be found in some backyard flocks (I don't know the incidence) but I would not be concerned. You should ask the vet who comes to do the testing these questions... then get back to us!

Good luck!

6. XavCas

Oct 18, 2012
    Thank you, that makes me feel a little bit better; I think I am just worried because I found my chickens in front of my house.. a mom and her babies. I dont think they have ever had any shots or vaccinations or anything like that. The vet should be here any minute.

7. XavCas

Oct 18, 2012
    The vet just left, they are all clear and ready for fair.! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by