Having trouble finding a water weasel

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thndrdancr, Aug 12, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Boy I tell ya. I envy those folks that just "went out and bought one". I have looked ALL OVER.

Finally I called Walmart, they told me they have ONE left, and they will hold it for me. Sheesh! One? I woulda never found it, for sure. Hope it doesnt break or leak, as there IS no backup.

I think stores are stopping carrying this thing, as all of them told me that too many kids were breakin the things. So if anyone wants one for hatchin later on, they might get theirs NOW! Just fyi.

Jill

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When I got mine I had trouble locating them but finally found them at a distant Walmart. They had 4 on the rack so I bought all 4. They were 88 cents. I have seen people on the internet selling them for $5 - $8. To me that is ridiculous. [​IMG] No matter how much I wanted one I wouldn't pay that for it. But - dang - that is a lot of profit. LOL

3. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    I found them at the Dollar General, I would also check all the $1, places. HTH

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I looked at every Walmart, K mart, every toy store within a 30 mile radius trying to find one. No luck.

I found 1 on Ebay, had to pay $5 for it.

I'm keeping my eye out for them still, if I find some I'm going to buy all I can get.

Seems like we should be able to make a homade substitute. Hmmm......[​IMG]

5. silkiebeginer

silkiebeginer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    It took me the longest time to figure out what in the world you all were talking about,lol. But we call them water snakes. My kids have had a dozen of those. They have them here at Wal-mart and the Dollar Tree and DolarMania. You used to be able to buy them by the dozen from Oriental Tranding, not sure if you still can. Check with all the Dollar places by where you live, here they are not hard to come by.

Jennifer

6. Sparkalator

Sparkalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Florida
    I am new to all of this chicken stuff, what exactly do you use these for and can someone post a pic of one.

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Its basically a flexible rubber sleeve filled with liquid.
    A childs toy.
    Used in an incubator along with a thermometer with a probe. Stick the probe inside the sleeve and you can simulate the core temp of an egg.
    That way you have a more precise temp measurement to go by when adjusting your thermostat.

The ambient air temp in my homade bator ranges from 95-102 degrees, but the core temp in the water wiggler stays very close to 99.5 degrees constantly.

Hope this helps

8. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Its the blue thingy with the black cord running into it.
    [​IMG]

9. Sparkalator

Sparkalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Florida
    Thanks Rooster-red, I am getting ready to set some eggs, I will have to see about finding one.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

For the cant find one or want to spend 88 cents towards half a bag of chips, you can effectively do the same thing with two ziploc bags rubber banded together. Just sandwich in the probe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by