Having trouble finding chicks for sale in my area (MA/CT/RI/NH)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MAchicken105, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MAchicken105

MAchicken105 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2017
    MA
    My Coop
    I apologize if this is posted in the incorrect spot, pretty new here but so amazed at all the information this community offers.

Im starting up my first backyard flock this year and I guess I was late to order chicks? I'm only allowed 7 in my town but I'm looking for specific breeds. Any ideas on where to look? I'm looking for more of show/pet quality birds. I'd prefer a local breeder, especially since most mail orders have a high minimum order amount. I live in central MA but can travel to neighboring states. Specifically looking for splash and blue ameraucanas(2 each), golden and silver laced polish, and one black or blue silkie.

Is it completely unrealistic to assume I can find these birds at this point? Feeling very discouraged.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It may take some effort but since you want show quality birds, you can look up the national organization for those breeds. For example, for Ameraucana you can check here. Maybe you can find someone near you that can help.

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/breedersdirectory.html

Another option is to go to chicken shows and talk to people there. Those are typically going to be much later in the year so may not help you much immediately. Or if you can find out who runs your local chicken shows they might be willing to give you some contacts.

Your local county extension office may be able to help.

Another option is to find the state thread in the “Where am I! Where are you!“ section on here and chat with your neighbors. Maybe someone knows something. I’ll give you the Massachusetts thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/50058/byc-members-in-massachusetts/2220

Hopeless to find chicks this year, not really. But since you want show quality it could be more challenging. If you want females only you may need to look for started birds, old enough to know sex, instead of chicks.

3. MAchicken105

MAchicken105 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2017
    MA
    My Coop
    Thanks Ridgerunner, I'll check those out!

4. KDMdesigns

KDMdesigns Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2016
    Dallas TX
    Sorry MAchicken105 that you are encountering this challenge.. I know my dad never has a hard time getting new additions to their flock, although he isn't looking specifically for show type of chickens. Growing up we always gotten chicks at the local nearest Agway store though aware that retail establishment might have disappeared these days. I can reach out to my dad and see what he suggests for the MA/RI area, definitely would have more options going into the SouthCoast area since it's more Rural then the Boston area. PM me...

5. rllupien

rllupien Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    NC
    I had the same issue! I'm not restricted to how many I can have but only wanted a limited number (because I live in a neighborhood). I also wanted specific breeds. I have decided to go the incubate and hatch method. I know that's not realistic for everyone because not everyone has an incubator. However, I've seen on Craigslist where people will incubate eggs for you. Just order whatever breeds you want from eBay, and sell any extra chicks you get, since most eBay purchases are more eggs than you really want (not necessarily a bad thing though since shipped eggs don't usually have a good hatch rate). Hope you're able to find some local chicks though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by