Having trouble finding feed over 20% protein....

gladahmae

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Benzie, MI
Is there something I can amend my 20% broiler feed with to boost the protein a little bit? Or, is the impact of the extra 3% the hatchery recommends not a big impact? I found a local source for non-gmo feed but they don't carry anything over 20%. Help?

The extra protein helps a lot.
You could add some fish meal which is about 65%.
TSC carries a 24% Dumor brand flock raiser but it contains GMO.

How many birds are you talking about?

70 birds. I wouldn't be opposed to buying some sort of supplement like fish meal and mixing it in myself, I'd just need help with how much per 50# bag.

Broilers are actually " designed" to perform well with as low as 18% protein so your broiler chickens will do just fine with 20% protein. To high of protein promotes bad legs, flip, and liquid retention in the body cavity. You may even want to limit the food to one feeding every 12hrs.after they are 2 weeks old.

I usually only give 22-24% for the first 3 or 4 weeks and go to 18% after that. It's a personal choice.
Not to worry, CornishX or Freedom Rangers won't dress out small unless you butcher at 3 or 4 weeks even on18%.
They eat a lot, can you get bulk or are you feeding by the bag?
I just finished 50 Freedom Rangers. Processed half as game hens (a little bigger at 2.6 lbs.) and the rest went the Label Rouge way which is a minimum of 81 days on pasture(what pasture there is this time of year. They ranged from 6-9 lbs..
I didn't keep track of how much feed I used total but 50 were going through better than a 1/2 bag a day and close to 6 gallons of water a day.

Last edited:
20% is the max that I have ever fed my meatbirds and they have all done just fine! As a matter of fact my birds last year got fermented grain and 18% protein crumbles. High protein is not necessary in my opinion and I have had some nice birds to prove it. :)

OK. I guess I won't sweat the 2-3% then. I'm considering fermenting just as a way to combat the infamous meatie stench. And since I've done some reading in the FF thread, it seems that maybe it makes the nutrients more available to the birds and that would help things as well. Dunno! Will just have to give it a go and see what happens!

I think you will be thrilled with the results!! They were so healthy and absolutely loved foraging and eating grass and dandelions. Mine were allowed to free range on 2,500 sq ft of grass enclosed with an electrified poultry net. They are the most flavorful chickens I have ever eaten. I have lots of pre-orders this year based on the flavor from last years. :)

Back
Top Bottom