Having Trouble Laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wild--Star, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Wild--Star

Wild--Star Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    Our Frizzled Pekin hen often looks like she is struggling to lay. Is this a problem? She keeps coming up and down from the nesting box. She will sit there for a bit then come out and run around trying to jump on things and jumps in large flower pots. She pants a lot, seems like she is hot and distressed. We often put her in a bucket of warm water for a bit and after a while she eventually lays. How can we fix this? should I be worried out egg binding?
    Thanks

2. Wild--Star

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    She is only fairly young and is about a month older than our other two Pekins but she has started laying and they havent. They are still on pullet feeder but we plan to get them on layer feed in the next lot we buy.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They need more calcium now if they are laying age. Give them some crushed egg shells or oystershell for free choice feeding. I would go ahead and get the layer feed started. Layer feed contains 4 times as much calcium as chick grower, and lack of calcium or dehydration can be causes of egg binding. Your pullet may be just a bit jumpy in beginning to lay, but you might make sure that she is not egg bound or constipated by inserting a finger 1-2 inches inside her vent to feel for something solid.

1 person likes this.
  4. Wild--Star

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    Thank you, I will get to changing their feed. She has had the egg now and maybe your right, she may just be a bit jumpy but is it okay for her to be taking so long to lay her eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by