Having Trouble Recognizing My Chicks and What They Are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nemo Reyes, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Nemo Reyes

Nemo Reyes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    Sanford,North Carolina
    I Have 8 chicks and 2 are orange colored chicks plus i also have a yellow one and 5 black well ive heard that when they are born and they begin to develop feathers you can recognize the chicks by their tail feathers. Supposely if the tail feathers grow long when theyre small theyre female and if theyre short their males. If You need pictures just reply.[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    We need photos.

3. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    x2

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I wouldn't go sexing chicks by their tail lengths at that early of an age. I know a person who swears by this method, "she can sex any bird at two weeks of age by the tail growth". Then she turns around to ask what sex we think they are. It has turned out that most the ones that she picked out (using this tail method) as pullets have turned out to be roosters.

I go by comb/ wattle color and development based on age/ breed. Around 3 to 4 months old most roosters start to get the male sex feathers (saddles and hackles).

As said above pictures would help.

1 person likes this.
  5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    X2. Yes, roosters are often slower-growing then pullets and may have shorter tails until they reach 14 weeks or so, but this is a pretty individual thing and there's no way to just look at a tail and know the sex. Sometimes you can just look at a bird and tell, depending on the breed--EEs, for example, can be sexed just based on feather patterns fairly young. We need photos and to know the age and breed of the birds if possible.

6. Nemo Reyes

Aug 20, 2013
    Sanford,North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    This is The Chick Is it too soon to know what is the Sex.?

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    For it's age, I'd watch it as it's looking more like a rooster. Could you get a whole side shot of it, as it looks like the color gets darker in the back.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like a rooster to me.

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd say a cockerel, too. That's an awful lot of comb and pretty thick legs for its age.

10. Nemo Reyes

Aug 20, 2013
    Sanford,North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Think This Is Good Enough :) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by