Having trouble treating coccidiosis

Bluscorp22

Chirping
Mar 18, 2015
Southeast Alabama
I have a 3 1/2 month old frizzle Cochin bantam pullet that had bloody poop about 9 days ago. I immediately separated her and took a poop sample to the vet. The vet said she saw no sign of worms but did see a few cocci in the float test. I started the pullet on 1/2 tsp liquid corid in her quart sized waterer. I did a thorough cleaning of the coop and pen where her 3 flock mates are still living. I kept her on corid for 6 days (was told 5-7 days) so settled on 6 since I had seen no signs of cocci for 2 days prior to stopping treatment. For the next 2 days her poop was completely normal looking. This morning the blood is back! She has had no symptoms at all other than bloody poop. Her comb is nice and pink. She is eating and drinking as usual. She is alert and active. I have given her probiotics for 2 days. Her flock mates are showing no signs of cocci. She is still separated from them. I have her in a chicken tractor that I move every 2 days to keep her off infected ground. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I would try to get her back with the rest as soon as possible, or she may be attacked from being separated so long. When treating coccidiosis, they don't need to be removed, but all birds should be treated at the same time. Cocci is everywhere, all chickens have some, and it's only when they get a huge amount in their intestines before that have built up a resistance to it, that it becomes serious. She may just be passing some of the irritated intestinal tissue or it could be normal intestinal shed. If you find another bloody poop, post a picture of it. If she is eating, drinking, and active, she doesn't sound sick anymore.

Thank you! Should I put her back with her flock mates and do another round of corid for her as a precautionary measure for them? Or just put her back and keep an eye out for signs of sickness? Today her little chicken tractor is within eye sight of the other three girls and she is pacing and wanting out! She was at the TOP of the pecking order prior to this! She has not shown any symptoms from the beginning except bloody poop. Here is a
Picture of her poop from this morning.

You could do a preventative dosage of Corid for another 5 days, and place her back in the flock. Just use 1/4 tsp of Corid in a quart of water. I would also put a small amount of plain yogurt in their feed for probiotics. Yes I would say she is still passing some blood--that is not intestinal shed.

Last edited:
I will surely do that! I have used paper instead of shavings to line her coop so I could see her droppings good. She has passed blood 4 mornings out of the nine she has been sick. The rest of the time her poop has been normal! Thank you for your help. Here's the little booger! :)

Back
Top Bottom