Having trouble

Discussion in 'Quail' started by beckyschicks, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    Ok I have 3 coturnix quails. Lost one to a rat that figured out how to open my cage. Long story, horrible day, fixed the problem. So last night I was doing chores and my one boy crowed. I love it when they crow. I had thought the other two were girls, by their size and lack of crowing. They are A&M's, and I'm not good a sexing them vent wise. Well all of a sudden, another one crows! [​IMG] is all i thought, now I have to seperate them and get more girls. They are in a 5x2 cage, so I thought I would be ok until I got home today to seperate them. I should have know better. My one boy has no feathers on his head and has a open spot on his head too. I pulled him out, which he let me do with no fussing, not a good sign. I've got him in a cage of his own in the house so I can keep an eye on him. Gave him vitamins in his water. Have no eylectrolytes right now but can get some. Should I put some antibotic cream on his open wound? or just leave it be until it heals. I didn't want to stress him so I didn't look him over, but will. Am I doing everything that I can right now? Should I do something else? Is the girl ok with the other boy or should I take him out too? Now that he has done this will he continue to pick on the girl and anyother girls that I introduce?
    Any help is appericated. Thanks

2. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    You can use neosporin on the wound as long it doesn't have the added ingredient for pain relief. It will say on the tube whether it reduces pain or not. They will heal amazingly quick if the wound is kept reasonably clean. Male coturnix are best housed with at least four or five females per male. Keep an eye on him and your hen and try to find some more ladies to put in with them. Most males will settle down if there are enough females around, but there are some that are just aggressive no matter what the ratio is.

3. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    Thanks
    I gave him a heat lamp and he snuggled down under it. I'll wait an hour before I put antibotic cream on his head. The other two a behaving. I pulled the girl, just to make sure she was a girl again and the other boy was calling like crazy. I don't see them advertised here very often so I will have to contact the lady were I got them from see if I can only buy some girls. I'm worried your right that some boys are just natually more aggresive then others. [​IMG]

4. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    I am not sure about the neosporin. I know that it shouldn't be used on other animals, dogs in particular, and don't know "for sure" that it is safe for quail. I use a blue coat or iodine tincture. I am not saying you can't use Neo but I would say BeCareful. Maybe it is the pain reliever that is the bad thing as well...Just Not Really Sure....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    ()relic - it is the pain reliever that is bad for animals. Neosporin is Vet approved around her for cats, dogs whatever. Its even in the Purina emergency pamplet I believe.

Yes, I also use Blue coat or Black coat anti peck. I actually just used it on a M Gold Yesterday. His back had been picked on and he was a bit bloody. Brought him in, cleaned him off. Black Coated him and took him back to the pen. Checked every half hour and they went to pick him then suddenly changed their mind. Stuff is great. My boy is already healing this morning. Think I'll coat him again this evening though, just to keep the pickers off.

I was just going to say though, are you sure its the boy picking. With mine it was the big girl.

You definately need more females. I would separate all of them until you get more. Keep the males where they can't see or hear the female. Try that anyway. Try to get 8-9 more in case you end up with more males. Or make an agreement to bring back the males or something.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I was always told by my professor when there is an injury use neosporin...works like a charm and I hold to it [​IMG] Never had a problem with it and alway will use it. Blue cote is good too but neosporin is in my birdie first aide kit at all time.

7. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I just went out and checked my little gold boy. Sure enough another was going to peck and changed its mind, so lasts for more than 24 hours.

Healing good, added more. But what I have is not Black Coat its Black Salve by Rooster Booster - all I could get at the time.

Just curious - only used Neoporin on the dogs - Got the Black Salve before I got chickens again- I know about these guys. Anyway, I know Neosporin is good for healing and as an antibiotic.

Does Neosporin help with the Anti Pecking? Or do you always have to separate them? Anybody know?

Cause with this other stuff, I just coat them and put them back in the flock or covey. Unless they are real badly tore up. Just wondering if I need to keep buying this stuff. It's good but it is real expensive. Lasts a long time though.

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I separate with the pecking

I also give lettuce or veggies for enrichment

9. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    neosporin=people...blue coat/iodine tincture/furzone= animals...using any drug "extra label" on animals isn't a good idea unless you are cleared to do so by a vet.The theory behind not using neo is the animal has the potential to ingest enough of the salve to cause internal problems. If the bird is being pecked, then surely another bird has it beak on the treated bird...Possibly "eating" enough of it to be a problem? I don't know but, in my book, it isn't worth the chance especially because Some animals are slightly more valuable than quail....but thats JMO...and what do I know...

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    ()relics :

neosporin=people...blue coat/iodine tincture/furzone= animals...using any drug "extra label" on animals isn't a good idea unless you are cleared to do so by a vet.The theory behind not using neo is the animal has the potential to ingest enough of the salve to cause internal problems. If the bird is being pecked, then surely another bird has it beak on the treated bird...Possibly "eating" enough of it to be a problem? I don't know but, in my book, it isn't worth the chance especially because Some animals are slightly more valuable than quail....but thats JMO...and what do I know...

But if you separate the bird and have him in his "hospital cage" with the neosporin then no one ingests it, right? [​IMG] Pecking shouldn't be a problem if the birds are not overcrowded but there are some naughty birds out there.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by