Hawaii has roaches...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mylittlechickpea, May 16, 2010.

1. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Gross.... I hate roaches.

I found one crawling around next to trash can last night, and instead of the obvious reaction of just stepping on it (I was wearing flip flops), I freaked out and went to the next room and grabbed one of my husbands huge work boots to squish it with.. Two good squishes, and then took the trash out.

I left it there last night, under the giant boot, to teach it a lesson... and it was really gross and I didn't want to look at again for fear it might move or something..

I went to go vacuum it up this morning, and it was gone!!! All that was there was a leg or two, a wing, and an antenna.. And then i saw it!! Moving!! Alive!! So I squished it again! This boot weighs like 7 pounds I don't understand how it survived over night?!?!

Before I could go get the vacuum, Chickpea came in and ate it.. I'm very grateful that she took care of it for me, but I don't know if I can pet her again knowing there is a squashed roach inside of her...
  2. pardenx3

pardenx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Talladega, Alabama
    Ya'll have some tough roaches there! lol!!
  3. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Although cockroaches do give some people the ibbyjibbies they won't attack . I live in the Republic of Panama (10years now) and for me they are just part of tropical living (I do kill them on sight). Just keep food sealed and make sure there's no water leaks and oh yes...chickens love em! They consider them a gourmet treat [​IMG]
  5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Sorry in advance for this UN-empathetic response, but:

Wah! [​IMG] Hawaii has roaches, how awful. You live in virtual paradise. I would trade a few roaches ANY DAY for tropical beauty, warmth, gorgeous beaches, dolphins and whales swimming by, windows with no glass, the sound of the water gently lapping onto the shore as I sleep...

Just teasing, but I did have to laugh. I would have thought the only pests in Hawaii might be all the tourists, lol.

Seriously though, I had roaches once in a big apartment building in New York City, and they are disgusting, so I sympathize.... a little.[​IMG]
  6. mylittlechickpea

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Minus, the roaches this place is wonderful!! I keep all the food either sealed or in the fridge, and don't have too many problems. Just this one, attracted to the trash.... It's gone now, eaten away. So I'll good for another couple months, til I see another.

I saw the gnarliest centipede a couple days ago too! Not my house, a neighbors garage. It was like seven inches long, no exaggerations here. It was haulin ass, and so much grosser than the lone roach. [​IMG]
  7. mylittlechickpea

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii

This is what was in the neighbors garage. I guess they bite and are poisonous. I'll keep the chicken away from this one [​IMG]
  8. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
  9. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
  10. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    We have roaches all across the South, but the worst were when I lived in New Orleans. If you tried to stomp one and missed, it would not run from you. It would push itself up on its legs so it would look bigger and run at you. That is the only place I have seen roaches fight back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by