1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawaii vacation tips?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NoelTate, Jan 6, 2010.

1. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    OK, I need tips from those who live in or have traveled to Hawaii. I'll be going to Oahu for 5 days and Hawaii for 2 days in February. Already have a list of things to see and do, but I'd love to hear from someone who lives there with suggestions of good places to eat and more local kinda things to do rather than all touristy stuff. Thanks!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I can tell you one thing. DO NOT leave cash in your room. When we were there several years ago, someone robbed us of all our cash from the ROOM!!!! They left the travelers checks. HAVE FUN!!!

ETA: We really did have a blast, I just say this as a warning. It was clearly an employee of the hotel we stayed at. And the police sent us a very nice apology letter too. They went above and beyond to help us.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Tip 1: Take me along.

That is all.

4. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Tip: Don't let your teenie tiny purse fall between the coushion crack of the hotel lobby sofa, then leave on the shuttle to the airport. They won't let you back on the plane to come home without ID. Jusk ask my DIL [​IMG]

5. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Only 3 days to go! I can't wait, especially since temps here have dropped down to freezing again. Ugh. At least the cold makes it a bit easier to leave during Mardi Gras. They are forecasting snow flurries tomorrow night. Crazy for us down in Mobile. Last time it snowed here was back in 1993!

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:That is my tip too! Have fun!

Aww... some day [​IMG]

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Some must dos on Oahu is Shark's cove( on the North Shore located by the firestation) best snorkling around, Hanauma (sp) Bay for more excellent snokling, Three Tables beach on the North Shore to visit up close and personal with some green sea turtles (don't touch), hike up Diamond Head, visit the trade day thingy at the Football Stadium for good, CHEAP souveniers, and don't just stay in Honolulu. It's a huge city but very little to see but Waikiki. That's all tourist traps. Venture out. Rent a car and drive around the island and you will have a ball!! You have to visit the Arizona memorial. Don't expect not to cry. Very sobering experience. Well, that's all I can think of now. Oh, if you need a tour guide, I'm available. Remember some parts of Honolulu are not safe at all!! Just be aware of your surrondings at all times.

8. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Be sure to have a drink that is served in a pineapple.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I used to live there. I have also visited twice in the last few years. I would suggest going to the Polynesian Culteral Center on Oahu. It's pricey, but the tour and Luau are unforgetable.

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    It's been so long since I was there .. just HAVE FUN!! Where are you staying on Oahu??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by