Hawk Attack #2 GRAPHIC

RoosterML

🥇Ukraine 🥇
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
This is now the 2nd time I lost a bird to a hawk in 4 months . A really great Leghorn that just started to lay last month. As I pulled up the driveway I saw the hawk flying away. Here are some photos in case you ever wonder who kills and goes right for the guts. This occurred really close to the barn and inside the barn.
B83FBAFE-7EDE-4305-B0F2-F56AF9F23B21.jpeg C7F2492A-FB93-47B7-A95F-60F468B3B73F.jpeg 45F9E598-20FC-40FB-9852-7D59A0E4DE7D.jpeg C699AD3F-373C-4BC4-AD48-195EC45CDCA2.jpeg 5A0E4C7A-FB44-4398-AC9F-FAD5197324C1.jpeg
I left the carcass out to see if the hawk would return so I could properly introduce myself but it was just before dark and it doesn’t look like I will be able to do so this evening.;)

Last edited:
i free range and loose a chicken here or there. i think i lost 6 hens this last year. mostly to a sneeky bob cat. i have quite a few pictures of him on my trail cam.
what helps me not loose more is that i have 4 guineas that alarm when they see a predator (hawks especially) and the fact that i have 3 guardian dogs that patrol the property during the day.
all of us that are going to free range WILL have losses.
hawks, eagles and owls are protected for a reason. they are beneficial and some endangered.
if you are going to offer tasty free ranging chicken with no safeguards in place, to the neighborhood wildlife, they will come and keep coming.
sorry for the loss of your hen. you might best coop your birds for a while.
in some places birds of prey are migrating and can cause trouble on these routes. my worst time of year for hawks is spring.

So sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. I had a hawk not long ago go on a killing spree. It got into one of my pens through a breach in the netting that covers the pens that I have since fixed. It didn't eat a bird but killed many. Here are a few it killed, mostly pullets just getting ready to start laying. I have both Rhode Island Whites and Rhode Island Reds in that coop and pen. It killed the Rhode Island Reds. Here are the first birds I took out of the pen. Good luck...
IMG_20190911_173150[1].jpg
Recently I had an owl break through some netting and kill a couple of my Leghorn hens. I have since replaced that netting with some better netting. I had originally ran out and used some cheap netting. I thought I had ordered something different than what I got, but now have some good heavy duty netting up. I had moved the birds to another coop when it came back I had put up another piece of the cheap netting and it went right through it. Since I put up the new heavy duty netting and I haven't seen it. I hope
DSCF00031125 01.jpg

It looks like it's thinking, "where did the chickens go?"
DSCF00031125 30.jpg

Back
Top Bottom