Hawk attack and I'm at work!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by WriterofWords, Nov 18, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My mom just called me to say she saw two hawks leaving my yard carrying something, drop them and return and then what looked like a rooster fight in the yard. She ran over to check my birdsm they attacked my brooder pen and took 2 little Frizzles and left 2 dead. This is my first hawk attack that was successful. She said both Blue Roo and Nugget attacked them, but that my big roo Tanker was slightly injured and lost some feathers in the fray.

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    OMG - lucky your mum was there. I guess they will be back - can you cover your run?

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh no! [​IMG]

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Roosters, you gotta love them.

Sorry the hawks got some. I've never seen them work together, but I had the same thing happen to me with just one hawk, not 6 feet away from me.

5. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    im very sory they got your birds. [​IMG]
    coopers hawks will always hunt in pairs, even if you only see one there is another not far away watching.

6. djmooney

djmooney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    sounds like even though you lost a few birds it was good to have the roo

7. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Oooooohhhh - that is my nightmare! I have tears in my eyes. I'm so sorry for you and your chickens. Good for your roos! Give them a treat when you get home.

8. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I have had a few close calls, myself. My run is covered and they are safe there, but I do let them in either the garden or goat pen when I feel the grass needs a trim and they are not as safe there. Its on my to-do list however. I'm glad you at least have a roo. Its so discouraging to lose a chicken like that.

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm surprised Tanker got into it, he's shorter than Nugget but outweighs the Nuggetron by a good 5 pounds. He's suddenly "blossomed" and is just huge! He's the baby from Nugget and Red the RIR that was hatched last year, it looks like he's got daddy's genes in mass and more, he's going to be bigger. But it also makes him clumsy and he can't run fast and literally looks like a huge red tank rolling along!

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Awwwwwww,poor things

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by