Hawk attack. Chicken seems OK, but looks to be in shock!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mandalitten, Jan 29, 2012.

1. mandalitten

mandalitten Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    I have a small backyard coup and run, but I like to let them outside in my fenced in yard when I am home so they can run around and get some fresh food and dig in the dirt, they love it. However, today when I stepped out on the deck I saw a hawk fly up from next to the deck and I figured the worst. I look down, and see one of the chickens (Rhode Island Red) on the ground. I pick her up, and I can feel her muscles are tense, but she doesn't move and her eyes are closed. Other than that she looks fine and I carefully check her for blood, but I do not see anything. I put her in the coop and start looking for the two other ones. I only found a couple of feathers on the ground, so that's good.
    I see them in the doorway between the coup and the run, and they look very scared, they must have thought they lost a sister..

It's been over an hour, and I checked the chicken, and she is still sitting in the same location, with one eye closed... I figured she is still in shock, but I don't know. I checked for blood again, but I still don't see anything. The strange thing is that the two other chickens are STILL in the doorway between the run and the coup, and it doesn't seem like they want to move an inch... The fact that they are all behaving the same (I do not believe the other two were attacked), gives me a little comfort that maybe she (or they) are just shocked...

Does anyone else have any experience like this?

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Is the hawk still out there? Mine freeze up whenever anything flies over. I hope your girl improves. All you can do is monitor her and let her rest. You can't treat what you don't know. Good luck!

3. mandalitten

May 17, 2010
    It was sitting on the roof of the jeep and the roof of my neighbors house for a while. One time I came out, I heard this noise UNDER my deck. My deck is about 3 feet high with lattice around it, but there must be some small opening made by maybe rabbits. The hawk had actually gotten in there, and now it couldn't get out... It was a little scared I think, for good reason... It finally made it out and flew away. It's dark now so the hawk should be gone.

The other chickens finally snapped out of it and started walking around, and I hope the last one snaps out of it to soon.

Thanks

4. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Whew! Glad they're all okay! Hawk will return, I'm sure. [​IMG] I have a broad wing hawk that likes to watch my flock too. Keep your eye on them! Your girl should be better in the AM. A good nights rest will help. If you think she's not injured, maybe tuck her back in the coop tonight with the others for comfort? She'll be glad to see them in the morning.

5. mandalitten

May 17, 2010
    They are all sleeping now, but I hope they will be OK in the morning. She is in the coop, but not on a roosting pin. I was afraid of putting her up there since I was afraid she would fall down. I tried to give her some water, but she didn't want anything. Hopefully
    I am sure the hawk will be back to, but I will be careful not letting be outside if I am not there with them.

6. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    [​IMG]

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I had my first hawk problem her this year. Killed one of my chickens. Now I double net everything.

8. mandalitten

May 17, 2010
    I checked the coup this morning, and she was up and walking. One eye was still closed, maybe she is still scared and afraid of looking into the eyes of a hawk...

9. mandalitten

May 17, 2010
    All three chickens laid eggs today, so that's good. The one that was attacked still appears to be in shock though. She doesn't sleep on the roosting pin, but sleeps on the ground. She still keeps one eye closed, but it doesn't look like it is injured. I hope she is eating and drinking water and I guess I will find out in the next few days.

10. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Good that she's walking around. Any special treats that might tempt her to eat? My girls never say no to a piece of bread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by