Hawk attack Christmas Eve

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Vanessabuffsnsilkies, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    My husband went out to get wood and noticed something strange in the silkie pen... he approached it and saw the hawk eating one of my beautiful splash silkies. It flew off... This happened right at dusk. We were getting ready to have Christmas Eve dinner.

As a quick fix and to be able to let them out yesterday, I leaned some sheets of plywood against some straw bales so they have SOMETHING to duck under in the event he comes back. It's very windy out today so I don't think the silkies will want to come out much.

This is the second time in the past 2 months a bird of prey has been by this pen. The last time a barnevelder pullet was attacked and mortally injured. It didn't look like a red tailed hawk that time. It was huge and had a lot of grey so I thought maybe it was something migrating. We also have alot of crows around so honestly I thought it was a fluke thing and wasn't real concerned about it. I am now.

I've been looking on Ebay at poultry netting maybe to put over their pen. Any thoughts? What about the fishing line? My fence is only 3ft high

2. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Sorry to hear about your little Silkie. We experienced our first hawk attack yesterday while the chicks were out free ranging, and even though the hawk didn't get it, I'm now missing one of my New Hampshire pullets. [​IMG]

We put poultry netting around the top of our pen from the local feed store, but our pen is 6 feet tall. Maybe you could put bird netting over the pen, but attach it to 6' tall 4X4 posts?

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I used fishing line over my duck pen because the fence was only 48" high. It was not a screaming success- I still lost a duck after it was installed- but it did seem to deter all but the most determined raptors. The only sure way of preventing an attack is to use the netting. I use it in my chicken run and have had no losses since it was installed. The netting does sag a bit and may need to be propped up in places. I had some leftover panels from an old screen house that I made into teepees to help prop the netting up. They worked beautifully and are also used as hangers for the feeders and roosts are being added to them in the spring. They started out as a afterthought, but have become an integral part of the run.

Sorry for your losses. Good luck.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I use regular bird netting and it seems to work fine to keep hawks out.

[​IMG]

This pic is from the summer, of a mobile run I was using then. That was one frustrated hawk!

I did have one get in the coop a week ago. I've since attached a run to the coop and the netting wasn't attached firmly in one corner due to my own negligence. Happily no one was injured, I heard the uproar and ran out there in time.

Sorry for your loss [​IMG]
    I've heard regular chicken wire or netting is better but as I said, plain old bird netting from the nursery has worked for me.

5. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    I have netting up and my fence is about 4 foot. My son came up with a off the cuff fix to prop it up. He took an old TV tower section and tented the netting on it. It works great making it tall enough and also a perch for the bantam birds I have.

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Sorry for your loss. When I was young we had problems with hawks and owls. My dad bought army nets to cover the runs, never caught a hawk but we would catch a couple horned owls per month in them. We would shoot them before untangling them. I tried to untangle a live one, big mistake those owls are tough.

7. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Well, I found some netting at my local feed mill. The sizes are kinda strange but I'm pretty good at wrigging stuff up. At least for the winter they will be able to come out of the coop and not be eaten...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by