Hawk Attack - Debrief/Discussion/Help

lavenderforluck

Songster
Jun 11, 2018
Richmond, VA
Unfortunately after 4 years we had our first hawk attack. Thankfully only one hen has a minor injury and missing feathers (its been tended to and we think she will make a full recovery), but our very loved rooster is missing. We didn't witness the attack and unfortunately didn't capture it on camera so while it would be speculation, I'm looking for some possible support and discussion.

Based on her injury and feather evidence the hawk attacked one of our Marans then our large Black Copper Marans rooster stepped in and attacked the hawk (significant hawk feathers). Where the hawk feathers are - there are zero feathers from our rooster which led us to believe he put up a good fight. However, further back on our tree line there was a very small pile of feathers of his and a trail of a few up our fence line and then another small scattering under our large tree in front yard.

Given he is missing and the feather evidence we suspect the hawk did manage to injure or kill him and take him but here is where we're a bit lost - our rooster was large (7+lbs - possibly upwards of 9lbs). We live east of Richmond, VA and have seen hawks but none large enough to fly away with a 7-9lb bird. This doesn't mean it didn't happen. We've search high and low for him or his remains or additional feather trails, but nothing. Unfortunately nothing was seen by our neighbors. Have you seen medium, even large-sized hawks carry off large roosters? I included a picture of him from about a year ago - he was a bit larger than the image.

We're keeping the girls in their run and coop for a few weeks and will only let them out when we're both outside as well as our dog from this point moving forward. We will also be expanding our run and putting up some hawk deterrents. This is our first predator attack and like many folks here we're very sad especially not knowing if our rooster is out there somewhere injured. We are grateful he defended and saved his girls.

Attachments

• Walter.jpg
    Walter.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 264
Awe, I’m sorry for your loss, he was gorgeous!

Hawks usually aren’t big enough to fly away with a larger bird. However, depending on the time from kill to discovery it could have eaten from his carcass after the kill where he lay. I suppose another predator could have made off with his carcass afterward.

Are you certain it was a hawk?

Awe, I’m sorry for your loss, he was gorgeous!

Hawks usually aren’t big enough to fly away with a larger bird. However, depending on the time from kill to discovery it could have eaten from his carcass after the kill where he lay. I suppose another predator could have made off with his carcass afterward.

Are you certain it was a hawk?

Thank you so much for your response - I really appreciate it! Here is a picture of one of the feathers we found - appears to be from some type of raptor and not from our chickens - any thoughts? The hen's injury is very much indicative of a from-above bird attack.

You are very right that post-attack another predator could have taken his remains but we thought there would have been more feathers in that case. There were only two small patches of feathers and the very light trail along the fence line.

The hen that was attacked initially left way more feathers behind so we assumed if he had been killed and eaten onsite and then taken there would have been quite a bit more evidence? We aren't certain on time to discovery but are guessing 15-30 minutes.

I just can't understand the lack of his feathers around - he was a very large bird, heavily feathered. It's bizarre. Obviously I'm in the denial stage of loss 😢

Adding another thought - maybe a fox heard the commotion and took him after the hawk injured him. But again, wouldn't that leave more than a small patch of feathers behind?

Attachments

• Feather.jpg
    Feather.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Thank you so much for your response - I really appreciate it! Here is a picture of one of the feathers we found - appears to be from some type of raptor and not from our chickens - any thoughts? The hen's injury is very much indicative of a from-above bird attack.

You are very right that post-attack another predator could have taken his remains but we thought there would have been more feathers in that case. There were only two small patches of feathers and the very light trail along the fence line.

The hen that was attacked initially left way more feathers behind so we assumed if he had been killed and eaten onsite and then taken there would have been quite a bit more evidence? We aren't certain on time to discovery but are guessing 15-30 minutes.

I just can't understand the lack of his feathers around - he was a very large bird, heavily feathered. It's bizarre. Obviously I'm in the denial stage of loss 😢

Adding another thought - maybe a fox heard the commotion and took him after the hawk injured him. But again, wouldn't that leave more than a small patch of feathers behind?
I don’t think you can really determine the feather loss. I mean yeah, if there was a brawl I’d expect to see more of that, but if it was quick then maybe not. Predatory animals are experts at what they do, your roo may not have had a lot of experience with that type of thing. Considering your estimated time of discovery it’s very possible he was mortally wounded and carried off.

I’ll show the feather pic to my hubs, I’m not good with that type of identification. I’m sorry but I’m not sure who else here could identify it for you. What about owls? They are diurnal and can certainly be large enough to carry off a rooster. Eagles? What birds of prey do you have around? Although that feather does look similar to hawk feathers it could have been there from another time.

Also, it’s possible he’s hiding somewhere, have you looked around for him? I mean obviously you have, but in nooks and crannies too? Under bushes, etc.

I don’t think you can really determine the feather loss. I mean yeah, if there was a brawl I’d expect to see more of that, but if it was quick then maybe not. Predatory animals are experts at what they do, your roo may not have had a lot of experience with that type of thing. Considering your estimated time of discovery it’s very possible he was mortally wounded and carried off.

I’ll show the feather pic to my hubs, I’m not good with that type of identification. I’m sorry but I’m not sure who else here could identify it for you. What about owls? They are diurnal and can certainly be large enough to carry off a rooster. Eagles? What birds of prey do you have around? Although that feather does look similar to hawk feathers it could have been there from another time.

Also, it’s possible he’s hiding somewhere, have you looked around for him? I mean obviously you have, but in nooks and crannies too? Under bushes, etc.
We have multiple types of hawks, owls and bald eagles (but they're more rare). We've never seen an owl but they're in this region. The feather in the image was collected from a large scattered pile of simliar feathers - we are certain they're from the attack. It was very clear based on the feathers around where our hen was first attacked and then where the hawk (or other feathered predator) lost a significant amount of feathers.

We've looked extensively for him all throughout the evening and at first light this morning. Unfortunately no sign. Anytime we're outside we're looking for him. We also put a local post on our Nextdoor app.

Like I mentioned in my post, we're just confused about the large pile of feathers for the hawk and hen but none for our rooster. There was a large pile and scattering of hawk (or predator) feathers - all similar to the photo some more downy.

It's unfortunate we will never know what happened. It is seeming more and more likely another predator might have gotten him post-hawk attack or it was a very large hawk or owl.

I have never had a hawk fly off with a chicken. The hawk I've seen most of is the Goshawk and if any hawk has the power to carry a fully grown rooster that would be it.
Again in my experience the Goshawk and the falcons i've dealt with do not like to fight. I've had a few broody mothers fight off a Goshawk.
It seems to me to be hopefully possible that the hawk, assuming that is what made the strike messed the strike up. They miss a lot and your rooster, seeing the hawk on top of one of his hens went for the hawk. If there was any fight between the rooster and the hawk it would have been quick. Your rooster is protecting his genes, the hawk is just looking for a meal and already had your hen to deal with.
Given you can't find your roosters body (Goshawks and most Falcons who would take on a full sized hen in the first place drag their victim into the undergrowth or at least away from the strike site to eat. If your rooster was killed then his body would be close by.
It seems possible that your rooster is hiding. I've had roosters and hens hide for 36 hours after surviving a hawk strike.

I have never had a hawk fly off with a chicken. The hawk I've seen most of is the Goshawk and if any hawk has the power to carry a fully grown rooster that would be it.
Again in my experience the Goshawk and the falcons i've dealt with do not like to fight. I've had a few broody mothers fight off a Goshawk.
It seems to me to be hopefully possible that the hawk, assuming that is what made the strike messed the strike up. They miss a lot and your rooster, seeing the hawk on top of one of his hens went for the hawk. If there was any fight between the rooster and the hawk it would have been quick. Your rooster is protecting his genes, the hawk is just looking for a meal and already had your hen to deal with.
Given you can't find your roosters body (Goshawks and most Falcons who would take on a full sized hen in the first place drag their victim into the undergrowth or at least away from the strike site to eat. If your rooster was killed then his body would be close by.
It seems possible that your rooster is hiding. I've had roosters and hens hide for 36 hours after surviving a hawk strike.
This is interesting! I really appreciate your reply! We’ve searched high and low intensively and the attack was Sunday so our hopes aren’t high for finding him, but we are still actively looking and have posted in our neighborhood in case anyone would see him or his remains.

The hawk made contact with the hen - she’s recovering. Rooster intervened and then there’s a large pile of hawk (or predator - still trying to ID) feathers. Our rooster’s feather trail was found over and along our fence line to under our magnolia tree. So maybe the hawk did manage to kill/injure him and lift him over the fence and up under the magnolia. But there weren’t many feathers. Do you think he would’ve chased after the hawk or more likely that it carried him over standard 4 ft farm fence?

One theory is that a fox or something heard the attack and came afterwards and took his carcass given the unlikely scenario that the hawk carried it off. Or a person? That seems really odd, I hope someone wouldn’t take him but you never know I guess.

Ugh, the not knowing is really tough. I’m sad we didn’t protect him well enough, he was very loved. We’re looking to see if anyone local has a dog that might be able to pick up his scent - sounds a little crazy but we just want to locate his remains for some closure.

When Britons and europeans say "hawk" they mean an accipiter. A goshawk is the biggest one.

Our most common "hawk" in the Americas is a red-tailed hawk. You'd call it a buzzard. A giant death buzzard as she is significantly bigger than a Common Buzzard, and her feet are comparatively huge -- she takes bigger prey. Red-tails are about twice as heavy as goshawks, but slower and not as bold.

A red-tail still isn't big enough to carry a chicken off. She still only weighs four pounds. She can kill a chicken and might drag it into cover but probably won't, dragging things into cover is a goshawk-ish sort of behavior, a red-tail usually eats in the open.

We have larger hawks than that, ones that would be classed as booted eagles in the old world, but they are not in Virginia.

My guess is that these are the feathers of a broad-winged hawk, Buteo platypterus, a middling crow-sized bird with small feet. It seems the rooster beat the snot out of her, and I expect she will go back to hunting the small rodents she's adapted to take. But what happened to the rooster after, I can't guess. :(

Back
Top Bottom