Hawk Attack, does my bantam have nerve damage?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mvining, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mvining

mvining Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2012
    Georgia
    My rooster bantam was attacked by a hawk yesterday evening. He is eating and drinking some. I feed him hard boiled eggs as mentioned in other post. He is very alert, but he can't stand or walk. If I hold him, he moves his legs as if he wants to walk. You can feel them tighten up. However, when I let go, he falls forward or to the side. I haven't found any wounds. Yet, something is certainly wrong. I read other posts that say to pinch in between his toes for a reaction, but my rooster doesn't respond. He also shivers. He is in the house wrapped in a blanket for stability and under a lamp. Is he damaged forever? Or will this too pass? What are my options?
    Thanks friends! You are my only hope as no vet around here can help me!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Your little guy may have suffered some trauma to his nerves going to the legs. Can he move his wings? It is great that he is eating. Just make sure his food and water are close to him, keep him warm, and keeping in a crate or smaller area is good. There could be swelling near the nerves that may go down in a few days. I'm hoping his shivering is just shock or a temporary neurological condition. Keep us informed of his condition.

3. mvining

Jul 29, 2012
    Georgia
    Thanks so much for the reply! He is not moving his wings. What does this mean? He is still eating like a champ on his own, but I have to give him his water. I'm still playing to find the magic way to place his water feeder so he will drink up. He wants to walk around and still fighting to do so.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know anything about chickens spinal cord, but it sounds like he could have some cord damage or at least swelling. I would keep helping him eat and drink like you are doing, since he may improve in a few days. Chickens can make some miraculous recoveries sometimes.

5. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    I am sorry for your rooster has damaged...

If you find wounds in him, you need to give him antibiotics..
    he also shivers means that he is fighting over some infections? that is what I am very concerned..

6. mvining

Jul 29, 2012
    Georgia
    The shivering happens after he has tried to walk a few minutes. I'm looking now to see if I can find the wound. I'm keeping him real warm now, and he seems to be resting comfortably.

7. hensintheHOUse

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    I hope he will feel better soon. keeping him warm is a good idea! :) He is very lucky to have such a nice owner.

Chickens as very strong for the wounds to recover. One of my chickens survived from a fox attacking her badly last year.
    I was surprised how she got well from the injury.

Was his beak covered with blood by self-defense? if so, I would give him antibiotics..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  8. mvining

Jul 29, 2012
    Georgia
    I haven't seen any blood. This is another reason why it feels so strange. The way he looks, no open wounds, missing feathers, etc., makes you think that he would be doing fine. I appreciate all the comments. It is something about the support that makes me feel less hopeless.

9. hensintheHOUse

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    It sounds great. How is he doing now? I hope he will feel better soon.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Give him some time. Spinal cord or head injuries in humans will cause swelling and pressure to build up over 3 days, then start to go down. I sure hope he was just bruised instead of more serious injury.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by