Hawk attack--Gaping wound--Maybe shock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KatGold, Dec 19, 2012.

1. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Several hours ago, a large hawk attacked my Khaki Campbell duck. I chased the hawk off before she could do a lot of damage, but the duck took a beating.

She is injured in at least three areas (head, neck, and leg). There are a small to medium gaping wound on her leg under her feathers. It is not large, but it is gaping.

I immediately bathed her in Oxine treated water, then put antibiotic ointment gel thickly on her wounds.

She is currently in a dog kennel with fresh straw, clean water, fresh feed, and a bowl of scrambled eggs with cheese and ground beef (I wanted her to get a lot of protein). I cannot tell if she has eaten or had water yet.

After setting her up in clean surroundings, I had to leave for a meeting. She was alone for about 2 hours. I just got home and checked on her and she was lightly panting and slightly shivering.

My concerns are:
    • Could she be in shock, and what is the best way to treat for shock?
    • There are flies around her, how to I best protect her wounds from flies?
    • If I allow her to be in the same area or free-range with the chickens,won't the chickens attack her because she has bloody areas?

Thanks for any advice you have.

2. kwinnypoo

kwinnypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    How warm is it where you are at?? Is she panting because she is too hot? Bringing her indoors would protect her from flies... or in a garage or something...

3. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Thanks for the advice, I am all ears.

Right now it's in the mid-70s. It was an insane 80-degree day. But a cold front is coming in tonight. By midnight, we'll have 30-mph winds and it will freeze tomorrow. Yes, we're getting a 50-degree drop. The shed is a great idea.

4. kwinnypoo

kwinnypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Update?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by