hawk attack - HELP

junecleavage

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013
south carolina
I walked out to find a hawk trying to carry off one of my chicks. It was too big for it to be able to fly off quickly, and my scaring it caused it to drop my chick. She is beat up badly, but still able to walk. I don't know if she is just pumped full of adrenaline, but if she is able to get up and about I'd like to try and save her. Any kind of antibiotic ointment or anything that I can put on her wounds? Am I being foolish trying to save her (my husband says yes)? Any advise will be appreciated.

I had something similar happen to me a raccoon bit off my Red Star's toes off so I nursed her back to health. For her wounds I used antibiotic cream for cuts, I also wrapped her toes in hurt free wrap with waterproof tape to let the wrap not fall off.

You should keep her away from any other chickens because they could peck her to death. Good luck on saving her!
smile.png

Does anyone have any advise on how to wrap a wing? I have her separated in clear container with a screen lid to keep flies out and others from pecking. She still is up an moving when you come into the coop.

I'm not sure if it is a good thing I joined BYC or not. I only ever had one problem (a possum got one of my chickens, a full grown one, I couldn't believe it), now that I have joined I have a lame chick as well as one that's been attacked by a hawk just in a two day time span.
smile.png

It says it is for horses and other larger animals. Is it safe for chickens? Probably a silly, question since this is a chicken website...

Yes, absolutely. Just be careful that if she flaps when you apply it, it may splatter on you...it doesn't come off easily--need alcohol or nail polish remover to get it off your skin. If you have gloves, wear them when you apply it to avoid staining your hands. I sure hope she recovers!

You can also clean the wounds off with Hibiclens, betadine, or soap and water. Neosporin ointment can be applied to any wounds. I would save the BluKote for when she goes back in with the others. Offer some high protein foods like scrambled eggs, tuna, and moisened chick starter to encourage her to eat.

Thanks everyone! She looks horrible. I hate to think she is in pain, but she is up and moving. I'm not sure keeping her alive is the best thing. When we first got her away from the hawk, we thought she was dead, but then we saw her breathing. My husband went to get the corn knife to put her out of her misery, but when he got back she hopped up and ran. It was like a sign she wanted to live. She played dead thinking the hawk would come back but when she saw that knife she ran for her life.
smile.png

Can you give a chicken baby Tylenol?
hu.gif

She has made it through the night. We went and got BluKote, actually we ended up getting the RedKote because in reading the bottles it seemed like it was for more serious wounds. We are still playing wait and see with whether she will make it or not. Should I be giving her an antibiotic? I saw someone posting about Tylan (I think that is close to its actual name), which my TSC carries. Does anyone know the dosage if I give her some? The bottle only had directions for cattle and swine.

Back
Top Bottom