Hawk attack, hurt chicken.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Imthe1whoquacks, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Imthe1whoquacks

Imthe1whoquacks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    West Virginia
    I heard my birds raising a fuss earlier today and went out to check after they carried on for a few minutes. I saw a hawk take off down into the woods. I ran down to the coop as fast as I could but when I saw the feather pile I feared the worst. I followed the trail and found one of my banty hens on her side and not moving.

I picked her up and noticed she was still breathing. I took her up to the house and set her down and she got up and tried to hide under something. I looked her over and I didn't find any punctures on her. The only injuries I see are to her wattles and her comb where she has some tears. She is missing most of the feathers from her neck though.

She drank some water for me and absolutely devoured a spoonful of applesauce. She's also pooped some. I'm keeping her in a box in the house right now for her safety which she already tried to escape once. Is there anything I should do for her right now or do I just wait and see If she even makes it through the night?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    The biggest risk is that she might have a puncture that is concealed by feathers. If she is mobile, has an appetite and does not get an infection then she stands a very good chance at recovering. Observation is key so you can detect any changes in her behavior or health. Make it dark for her over night and let her rest once she has had a good drink and eaten. Check on her throughout the following day. Isolation wont be what she wants but you need to be able to keep an eye on her. Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by