Hawk Attack! i think she's gonna be ok!!

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
My little Dutch Bantam just got attacked by a kestrel or small falcon or something. She is in shock, I'm sure but she can walk etc.

She has a gash right on the back of her neck/ upper back between her wings. Its deep, but not bleeding or anything. Im. Sure no major organs or anything are hit.... how can I treat it? The downy feathers surrounding it are going inside the cut.

Should I trim them and apply Blu Kote? Please advise asap. I don't think she's majorly injured and she's a healthy bird, but the cut IS deep.

Last edited:
She is in the broody box with my broody hen and she seems to be resting. I'm going to put food and water in next to her then leave her alone for a few hours....give her time to rest and then perhaps put on the antiseptic and trim feathers tomorrow?? How does that sound?

If you have looked her over and are confident nothing is critical, OK. You know your bird. But if it were mine I would have slapped on a bunch of BluKote to disinfect. If her wounds are on top as you say, it shouldn't be a great stress to her, and might nip infection in the bud.

The ability of birds to heal wounds is amazing. I had a hen gashed by a rooster (now gone) last fall, and couldn't believe how she healed. I could swear there was only a membrane left keeping her guts in. She's healed and still laying a year later! I got the care info from folks here - gotta love BYC
love.gif
thumbsup.gif

Ok. I only had to trim like 1 or 2 downy feathers to keep them out of the cut and I painted the ouuter rim of the injury with blu kote. The wound is actually extremely clean. No blood or dirt or anything. And the neck feathers actually form a protective barrier over the wound, so I feel good about it. She is snuggliing under my broody hen, so she's nice and warm and in the dark.

Of course, its my absolute favorite. No more free ranging for the littluns. Only the big girls can go out....and they are staying in for a while now. I'm not taking any chances....especially when they have such a huge run to play in. They don't need to go out where its not safe.

Man! That Blu Kote is great stuff! And chickens sure are hardy. The Blu Kote put a great little layer over the cut and it looks sooo much better today. Cleo acts like nothing iis even wrong with her. She's happily eating her scrambled eggs and snuggling with Henwyn. She's going to have a couple days away from the flock, so Feisty (her lover) doesn't scratch her open more, then back she goes! I'm so relieved. Lesson learned, tho. I'm just glad my little sweetie pie didn't have to die for me to figure it out.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom