Hawk Attack my chicken is still alive but can't stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rwill26615, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Rwill26615

Rwill26615 New Egg

Nov 16, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    My chicken was attacked by a hawk yesterday. I ran outside just in time to see it fly away. I thought it had got her because she was stumbling around. I checked for blood and didn't see anything but she can't walk on her left side? she can stand on one leg but I have to hold her up. I brought her inside yesterday and she has made it though the night and she is eating but not drinking. She makes a few peeps and she is trying to stand up but still can't. Hubby says to put her down and I won't do it. How can you tell if her wing or leg is broken or her joint is out of socket. I felt around and didn't find anything unusual but something is definetly wrong. thank you for your help!

2. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    im sorry but im not sure how to tell or to help. i hope someone else comes along with some advice for you.
    im just trying to keep it up the list so someone can help

3. carondesign

carondesign Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Check her really close, hawks usually bite a small hole in their back to paralyze them.

4. MrRushed

MrRushed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    One of my hens wing was ripped out of socket by a dog. She didn't stand for 2 days. I had to put her on her feet or she would lay on her side.
    Now shes standing and walking.

I lifted her wing up and could see the joint popped out.
    you could try feeling and squeezing jently and when she moans a little you'll know that's where it herts.

I was going to put mine down, I'm glad I didn't. They seem to recover very quikly.

5. MrRushed

MrRushed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    Wow, I didn't know that about halks.
    Learn something new everyday.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Keep her in a warm dry comfy stress-free place for now, with a good buddy if that comforts her. Look her over again gently and closely for signs of injury. That you didn't see anything terribly obvious may be a good sign; if something is out of whack big time a vet is her best chance, and emergently.

She may benefit from some pain relief in the form of aspirin in her water (1 baby aspirin crushed per cup of water, fresh batch at least daily). If there is internal injury suspected or active obvious bleeding this is not what you want to do but otherwise it should be okay.. Since she's not drinking on her own, you might cup up grapes and blueberries (or other fruit she really likes) and dunk in the aspirin water and see if she'll gobble that stuff up.

Usually after a trauma like this it's good to give electrolytes to help with shock but with injury yesterday it may be moot now. You could put a drop or two of Rescue Remedy Pet Version (bottle will have a paw print on it) on anything she will eat. This may help with stress.

Sending good wishes - please keep us posted.
    JJ

p.s. If you have other birds, keep them in lockdown for now, as the hawk will in all likelihood be back for seconds.

7. Rwill26615

Rwill26615 New Egg

Nov 16, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Thank you everyone for your help. I took everyone's advice and checked her for holes in the spine and also checked her wings to see if they were dislocated. They were not. Good News is that she made it. It took about 2 weeks but she is back to normal. All I did was keep her inside the house and made sure she was eating and drinking and then took her out of her box to walk around.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So very glad to hear that she's doing well!!!
    JJ

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I am so glad she is ok. I also learn something on hear everyday. Thanks everyone

10. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] great news

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by