hawk attack - need some advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazyemptynest, Apr 5, 2018.

1. crazyemptynest

crazyemptynest In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2017
    Hello- Sadly one of my Americana's has been attacked by a large hawk and has a very deep wound on her back that cannot be closed, there is not enough flesh to bring the edges together. It is easily an inch across and about 3/4 inch deep. Unfortunately we will probably need to euthanize her when my husband gets home in about 2-3 hours. She is not panting, and when I found her she was eating with the others and running normally. If you did not see the wound she would appear fine but I cannot believe that she in not in a great amount of pain. I brought her in the house, made her some scrambled eggs with cottage cheese and gave her some baby aspirin for the pain, pdo ut the cage in front of our woodstove for warmth, (we are in Michigan and it is still 30 degrees out). Other than that I would love some advice on how to make her as comfortable as I can. Is there any way that she would survive this humanely? I do not want to keep her alive for my sake if a humane euthanasia would be better. There is not an avian vet in the area and the vet that I have used in the past was really just shooting from the hip and it was a total waste of time. thanks in advance.

2. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Songster

Feb 28, 2013
    No need to euthanize. Our beagle ripped open one of our hens a few years ago and you could see her insides. I pulled the skin together as much as it would go - which wasn't much, put bacitracin on it and covered it with gauze and wrapped her up. She's still running around out there. If the wound is dirty, maybe clean it a bit with peroxide, but only once. Then dry the wound, put bacitracin on it and cover with bandages. Keep her indoors until the wound crusts over. She may not get feathers in that one spot ever again, but she'll live. Chickens are very hearty

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. crazyemptynest

Apr 2, 2017
    That is very encouraging, thank you. She seems like she is annoyed but not much else. The wound in is the center of her back so with help I am sure that I can clean and bandage it by wrapping around her body leaving her wings free. The hole is so big it took me back a bit and I come from a long line of home treatment of farm animals! I will treat her then and give her some extra home love and keep her as comfortable as we can while she heals. Damn hawks! They are rampant this spring and even with the rooster doing his best to alert everyone it is like a large flying bird show. We have lots of cover, she must have just not been quick enough.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Songster

Feb 28, 2013
    Take 20 lb test fishing line and string it across your chicken yard, tying old CDs every 10 or 15 feet or so. May not be fool proof, but we don't have any birds, even little ones hanging around. The chickens don't seem to mind since they were out there when I was stringing it up. Last year this time I had lost 5 chickens to hawks. Fingers crossed this is the reason we haven't seen any this year.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Veterycin spray is very good for wounds like this, available at most feed and pet stores.
    As long as there is no infection or internal damage there is a very good chance she can recover and be fine. Here is a good story of recovery from a pretty bad wound, may help: http://richie-cunningham.com/2012/04/11/chicken-wound-healing-process/
    Best of luck!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. crazyemptynest

Apr 2, 2017
    That is great advice and now I finally have a use for my husbands poor taste in music! LOL Thank you for all of your advice, I really appreciate it. Funny thing, this hen's name is Chicken Hawk! You would think with a name like that she would be more savvy!

7. crazyemptynest

Apr 2, 2017
    I have Veterycin, I will use that. She is sleeping now, I think that warmth and quiet are doing her well. Thank you for responding, It is so nice to have a forum to come to for advice from folks that know chickens! Now horses, goats and rabbits I am great! New to chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: