hawk attack - one duck with some mild injuries

duckiesrule

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Western Massachusetts
So, one of my ducks was attached by hawk. I wasn't there for the attack, but she has a wound on the side of her head and there is blood under her wings.

I am horribly squeamish, but I have her inside in a warm bath.

What else can I do?

I have seen some comments on here about antibiotics? She wont let us touch her, but we could put something in the water.

These seem like superficial injuries but she is very freaked out and I hope that she wont die from shock or internal injuries.

Thanks!

Oh, boy, not good.

hugs.gif

A few cups of apple cider vinegar in the tub with her is the first thing that comes to mind.

Puncture wounds can introduce germs into the bloodstream, so be aware of that.

There is Veterycin, triple antibiotic cream (not ointment, which is oily and prevents air from getting to the wound).

I don't want to yell so I will resist the urge to put this in all caps: keep her away from flies, which will lay their eggs in the wounds.

Vitamins and electrolytes can help get her through the shock. Quiet, safe place, she may need her buddies so they may all need to be in sick bay for a few days.

She has eaten some peas and I've been reading on here about vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics. How does one find a source of those for ducks? Would probiotics in the form of plain yogurt be okay? Or probiotic pills for humans?

I would put a couple of tablespoons of plain, unsweetened yogurt with live cultures into a cup of lukewarm water and see if she will take it. Then some folks use unflavored pedialyte for electrolytes.

I found Vitamins and Electrolytes Plus online. Some feed stores may have it. Someone here recently reported using a certain kind of baby vitamin, but I don't know anything about that one way or the other.

She is resting, closing her eyes a bit. Seems to be relaxing in the bath. I will try the yogurt after she gets some rest. I added a cup of apple cider vinegar, but want to save some since I foresee having to drain this bath and start a new one. She just woke up from her duck nap and is drinking some water, but the minor trembling continues.

The problem is that my ducks don't like draining or running water, so it would freak her out to drain this bath and refill it. But in a few hours that will be necessary.

Should I keep her in the bath for the next couple of hours and then return her to her house with her friends, or does she need to stay inside in the bath overnight into tomorrow? I don't really have a "sick bay", I just have one bathroom that she can use for however long she needs it. But my duck house is one room 4x7, so there isn't really a way to separate her out.

I agree with Amiga. Muscovies are really tough! I had a female on eggs get attacked and bit by a dog and she still hatched her brood of 21 ducklings out !

Use the Veterycin and the electrolytes, both found at the local feed store.

Good Luck !

They are Indian Runners ... I hope the same applies to them!

Now I'm focusing on getting her some nutrients. The feed stores in this area are not open on Sundays and I don't have any electrolyte plus/vitamin stuff.

So, things to feed her:

gruel, sugar water?, apple cider vinegar in the water? ...

What else?

Back
Top Bottom