Hawk attack--Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by awalters0815, Aug 13, 2010.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    I have a chicken that must have been attacked by a hawk or crow. She has some open flesh on her back just below the neck. Is there Anything I can do to help her?

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Wash at a minimum and depending on how bad/deep they are, flush them with saline solution, squirting inside thoroughly with it etc. Then coat with a anti bacterial ointment like neosporine (or generic equivalent) BUT MAKE SURE it's NOT the pain relief kind!!!!! Very IMPORTANT!!!!

You may need to isolate her to keep the others from picking at any open wounds, depends on your flock, I have a small flock, not at all crowded and they seem to leave each other alone, even when hurt, (but that can change in a heartbeat with chickens)

Here's an interesting article for super serious wounds, doesn't sound like yours is too bad, but it's still interesting! http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/cell.htm

3. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    unfortunately one of my other birds was killed by the hawk (dropped). Hopefully the injured one makes it. I have secluded her and will be washing and dressing the wounds shortly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by