Hawk Attack today...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LittleChickenRacingTeam, Nov 2, 2007.

1. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I'm sitting at the computer when I hear one of my silkies squawk, & then the sound of a bucket being knocked over. This is kinda normal for this silkie, cause she is lowest on the pecking order, & the others take a poke at her now & then. When I look out the window, I see a red tail hawk in the tree 10 feet away, & it has white feathers in it's talons. [​IMG]

I race out the door & the hawk takes off. Dead silence. Can't see any chooks, & none of them are responding to my calls. I spot one of my white silkies in the garden under a bush, and grab her. No visible injuries, so I put her in the front hallway. I find the rest under their outdoor coop & am able to coax them out with sunflower seeds. They go back in their cages in the hallway. My other white silkie Snowball is up against the house, & not moving.

I reach under the coop to grab her, & pick her up to see if she's ok. No blood, but some feathers missing on the side of her neck. She seemed to be in shock, so I wrapped her in a towel & took her inside. after about 15 mins she starts clucking up a storm. I put her on the carpet to see if she can stand. She takes a couple steps, looks like she is going to collapse, but then then takes a big POOP on the carpet & walks away like nothing ever happened. I've never been so happy to have a chook crap on the floor.

Anyways I just checked on her & she seems fine. The skin was not broken on her neck & other than the missing feathers, she appears ok. Shotgun is loaded & now by the front door waiting for Mr. Hawk to make a return visit.

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I just posted on the other hawk post about using fishing line.

I AM SO GLAD YOUR BIRDS ARE OK.

I had 2 hawk attacts - the first time it targeted a whith silkie hen. About the same story you just told only my girl was shocked and did not recover, I think it affected her hart. she died 3 days later. :)

The secound time it got one of my mini ducks, it carried him about 300 feet in the air then dropped him he fell like a rock never even trying to fly and hit with a louad thud. He was in shock did not move and had 3 huge tallen holes into his chest, I put him in ou bath room with extra warmth and gave hin a shot of antibiotics after flushing the wounds. 3 days later he perked up I gave him another shot and the next day let him join his buddies that was 4 years ago. He is still with us.

:)

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh my goodness, that is terrible! But thank goodness your chicks are okay. i have silkies, too, and would be beside myself if anything happened to them. They are such delicate little critters.

We have a lot of hawks here. i don't let my girls out without being in close proximity. i also have lots of cover for them to hide. But, you just never know. One day i went out to find one on a low electrical line, checking out my backyard. They are quiet, stealth, sneaky, and deadly.

Please let us know in the coming days how your Snowball is doing.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Oh my Goddess!!!
    I think I would've freaked!!!
    I'm so glad to hear that Snowball's alright. I hearya on being happy to see a ploop...

5. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Yesterday I was outback with the girls, just messing around weeding and such. I was walking towards my back door and I heard wings flapping and felt a breeze of air across my head. I look up and I saw a hawk! It was that close! I actually felt the breeze as it went by my head. It was about medium size and a light grey color. Almost bluish. I think maybe it was a kestrel? I think they are sort of bluish?

6. LittleChickenRacingTeam

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Sure enough, the Hawk came back today. Let's just say I know he won't be coming back tomorrow...[​IMG]

Snowball decided she was ready to climb to the top of the woodpile, after I told her the good news. [​IMG]

You can see the messed up feathers on the left side after yesterdays attack. She did a good job of preening to cover it up.

[​IMG]

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    AWWWWWWW. Snowball looks like a little heartbreaker. Glad she was saved.
    Cages in the hallway? Are yours house pets?

8. LittleChickenRacingTeam

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    seminolewind said:

Cages in the hallway? Are yours house pets?

They are hallway chooks. They don't get to come into the house normally. I refuse to diaper a chicken. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    Great news that she is ok. I lost 1 this summer to a Red Tail. Those birds are sneaky & smart. He came for a visit this past week & I was not prepaired so off he went.

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    What a cutie, glad she is ok. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by