Hawk attack, torn vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chestnut Hill, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Chestnut Hill

Chestnut Hill Chirping

Jun 8, 2017
    Somerville TN
    6 days ago, a hawk attacked one of my 7 month old Barred Rock hens. Her vent was torn. I sprayed it with Vetricyn and put her up by herself. After that, she laid 2 eggs, but no more since then. Her vent looks better, but she’s poopy and pasted up looking. I’ve tried cleaning the poop off, trimming the matted up poopy feathers, soaking her in a warm soapy bath and cleaning, soaking her in a warm epson salt bath, cleaning and applying Vaseline, and just cleaning and applying Vaseline. I spray Vetricyn every day.

Her eyes are bright, posture seems fairly normal, she seems pretty good. Except for her poopy, pasted up butt. The area below her vent feels full but not hard. I have 10 hens, and I was getting 8, 9 occasionally 10 eggs a day so I assume that she laid almost daily.

She’s eating and drinking, but I don’t feel like she’s getting enough. She seems to be losing weight. I gave her applesauce and she ate that. Tonight I gave her applesauce with molasses. If she’s constipated, hopefully that will get things moving.

Normally, when she’s out, she freeranges, eats layer crumbles, the guinea’s flock raiser crumbles, table scraps, and snacks of scratch and black sunflower seeds. Now that she’s up, she just has layer crumbles and a couple of packs of applesauce. She doesn’t have any grit or calcium in there with her.

I’ll try and post a gross pic of her butt...sorry. Do you think that I should be doing anything else?

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you try another more clear pic of her vent area? I usually can get a sick hen to eat chopped scrambled egg or wet chicken feed better than anything. You could try giving her a tsp of mineral oil mixed into some egg for a laxative effect. Can you use a disposable glove with some lubricant or oil and insert a finger an inch or two inside to feel for stuck poo or an egg?

3. Chestnut Hill

Chestnut Hill Chirping

Jun 8, 2017
    Somerville TN
    Thank you! She ate about 1/2 of her applesauce mixed with molasses and I thought I saw some poop in her enclosure. I thought getting out and moving around might help, so I put her in the Guinea pen, which is enclosed. And I got all the Guineas but one out. I scrambled her some eggs (hopefully the Guinea won’t get them all). I’ll get mineral oil and try that later. And I’ll get a better pic when I get her cleaned up. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: