1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk attack Update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TalkBahk2Me, Jan 30, 2017.

1. TalkBahk2Me

TalkBahk2Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    Yesterday evening my favorite hen Lacey was brutally attacked by a huge hawk. She is my brave explorer. Lacey left the safety of her flock mates and was exploring the opposite side of the barn and through the fencing out of sight of her flock.

Sadly she is a quiet girl and made no noise when the attack happened. Luckily my dog ran over to her aid.

After literally piecing her back together and cleaning the wounds out. Leaving a little opening on each for necessary drainage. I have a Frankenstein looking hen for now (poor Lacey) until hopefully she will make it, heal up & feather out I hope. [​IMG]
    She made it through the night (which my hope were small) but wishful thinking, she is here and doing well today.

I will keep everyone updated. Sadly, I do not know of any safe pain meds for poultry. ???[​IMG]
    (She is tolerant if it fine though. And keeping her movements down to a minimum).
    Just about Everything else injury related, I have decades of experience in. Just a waiting game now. At least she is enjoying the warm office and her box.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    so sorry for her... asprin is ok https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

3. TalkBahk2Me

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    Thank you Molpet :) I appreciate that and the info [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    She laid and egg and looks sore but comfy
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  4. TalkBahk2Me

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    After a great day with much improvement. Seeing her favorite cat come to visit. Enjoying her ear scratches and treating her many wounds with good healing...

This evening Lacey's recovery has ended. Sadly she passed away while eating, she just fell asleep slowly and was gone. Her Internal injuries must have been greater than I could have guessed. She gave it her all and was waking around her pen, to poo, eat/ drink and then snuggling in the straw.

[​IMG] sigh
    My little Flock Matriarch, you will be missed dearly [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sorry for your loss[​IMG]

6. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    So sorry for your loss.

7. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    [​IMG]so sorry

8. TalkBahk2Me

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    Thank you all [​IMG]

9. chal23

chal23 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    I'm sorry! What a brave girl and incredible amount of love you showed her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by