Hawk Attack- Will this Hen Live?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katelk, Aug 19, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I just had my very first attack on my chicken yard. My yard has plenty of cover from trees, mainly pine trees, so I never worried. However, this HUGE hawk swooped right into their cover where they always hang out and nailed one of my Buff Orpingtons. I flew outside and scared him off when I heard the commotion. One of my Roos had all his tail feathers ripped out, so I guess he have the hawk trouble.
    I got over to the hen who was laying limp on the ground. I realized she was still alive, but there was a decent amount of blood. I carried her to the front yard because I thought I was going to have to put her out of her misery.
    First though, I laid her down and looked for wounds. The only wound I found was a minor bleeding comb.
    However, blood had been pouring out of her mouth like a dog drools. I was rubbing her feeling for any broken bones, lifted her wings, etc. after about a minute she stood up and just kinda walked away. She started running around and clucking like normal, so I didn't want to kill her if she is okay. Just the blood from her mouth is worrying me. It's all dried up and stopped now, but is she going to be ok??
    Also, will this hawk come back? I put everyone in the coop (since they were already there) for the rest of today just in case.

2. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I was wondering about possible internal bleeding? I am keeping an eye on her but am wondering what to expect....
    She is eating and acting normal.
    The hawk is STILL circling the chicken yard and it has been a couple hours. I am not letting them out of the coop til tomorrow morning at least, but will it come back tomorrow?

3. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    Yes, the hawk will come back! And he will keep coming back so long as he knows there's an easy chicken dinner waiting there for him. It's like having a special uninvited guest at your party...sometimes they just don't take the hint, and you have to be rude! But before you go and do anything drastic, be sure to check with your local Dept. of Fish and Game to see what the laws say about 're-homing' an indigenous bird of prey.

As for your bird, it's possible that she could have internal injuries that weren't severe enough to kill her, but were enough to make her bleed for awhile. It's good that it stopped, of course! I wouldn't go culling her anytime soon if she's acting OK. I've seen chickens seemingly lifeless, jump up, cackle and be on their merry way without so much as a hitch in their get-go...lol! I'd take the wait and see approach if she were mine.

4. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

Ok awesome. Hopefully she will be ok.
    I am dismayed at the hawk situation now! It is of course illegal to kill them unfortunately. What can I do to make it go away? I was just outside and now there are TWO circling the yard. Ugh! My neighbor across the street has a lot more chickens than I do and a more open yard. I am surprised they would swoop up under full, low-hanging pine trees after my girls!

5. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    It's those very same trees that provide him with cover as well! Cover from other birds of prey and any other marauding interlopers that might pass by and interfere with his meal...lol !!! Don't really know what to tell you on the 'how to get rid of them' front, just that they'll stick around as long as the meal is easy and the gettin's good, so besides trying to make someone else's chickens more appealing to them (which isn't neighborly), I guess I'd try scaring them away. My neighbors on the left have gone so far as to buy a huge, inflatable garden snake!!! The things' ginormous!!! Must be 10 feet long and 8 inches wide! I'd let you know if it's effective or not, but right now I'm too scared to go out there...lol! Anyway, they say they've had good luck with hanging pie tins all over their property but I don't know...looks to me like they just eat a lot of pies. Oh well. Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by