Hawk attack

Jan 9, 2022
We had a hawk attack today. It got my 3 month old rooster. I went out when I heard the chickens and scared it off. Pretty sure he is in shock. I cleaned his wounds and sprayed it with vetericyn. He is in the house and planning to call the vet in the morning. Is there anything else I should do? I am afraid to let my chickens out now. First it was a coyote attack and now a hawk.

Attachments

• 20220208_182718.jpg
    20220208_182718.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220208_182632.jpg
    20220208_182632.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220208_182602.jpg
    20220208_182602.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220208_182536.jpg
    20220208_182536.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 6
If he is in shock you can give him Gatorade, warm sugar water, or Nutri-Drench and they would all have a good effect. It sounds like you really care about him. I can give you no more advice then that because you have done everything I would have done. I had a chicken that was attacked by a hawk. She was not as lucky as your rooster.

If he is in shock you can give him Gatorade, warm sugar water, or Nutri-Drench and they would all have a good effect. It sounds like you really care about him. I can give you no more advice then that because you have done everything I would have done. I had a chicken that was attacked by a hawk. She was not as lucky as your rooster.
Thank you. It's hard not to get attached to them. I am sorry about your hen. It is never easy when you lose one.

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I just had a hawk attack one of my roosters Saturday evening. Other than encouraging him to drink sugar water, keeping him in a calm, warm environment, you're doing everything I was advised to do. I was told to continue the sugar water for 24 to 48 hours, even after they seem to come out of shock. This helps to keep their glucose levels up for their body's to continue to function. One other thing is to clip those feathers away from his wounds. I wish you the best with your young guy. Hawks are the worst 😡

(1 teaspoon sugar in 1 cup water)

@FeatherFeetFarm I am so sorry for your loss. She was a gorgeous girl. Unfortunately it seems like it's always the favorite 🥺 My heart goes out to you 💜

After a hawk attack, most of the experienced members here say to keep your flock locked in their covered run for 1 to 2 weeks because the hawk will be back. My birds aren't happy but they're currently being locked up to avoid the inmate looking jerk from attacking another one. I wish you the very best

Last edited:
After a hawk attack, most of the experienced members here say to keep your flock locked in their covered run for 1 to 2 weeks after a hawk attack because the hawk will be back. My birds aren't happy but they're currently being locked up to avoid the inmate looking jerk from attacking another one. I wish you the very best
I put them all back into run it's already covered and honestly I don't think they will be free ranging again.

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I just had a hawk attack one of my roosters Saturday evening. Other than encouraging him to drink sugar water, keeping him in a calm, warm environment, you're doing everything I was advised to do. I was told to continue the sugar water for 24 to 48 hours, even after they seem to come out of shock. This helps to keep their glucose levels up for their body's to continue to function. One other thing is to clip those feathers away from his wounds. I wish you the best with your young guy. Hawks are the worst 😡

(1 teaspoon sugar in 1 cup water)

@FeatherFeetFarm I am so sorry for your loss. She was a gorgeous girl. Unfortunately it seems like it's always the favorite 🥺 My heart goes out to you 💜
Thank you. I am nervous about having to clip his feather but I will do it.

We had a hawk attack today. It got my 3 month old rooster. I went out when I heard the chickens and scared it off. Pretty sure he is in shock. I cleaned his wounds and sprayed it with vetericyn. He is in the house and planning to call the vet in the morning. Is there anything else I should do? I am afraid to let my chickens out now. First it was a coyote attack and now a hawk.
Oh that’s sad
😭 my chicken has worse injuries warning graphic images

Attachments

• 2CA53714-90C1-4206-AA84-87CF7078D264.jpeg
    2CA53714-90C1-4206-AA84-87CF7078D264.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom