Hawk Attack!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bgates1970, Oct 16, 2009.

1. bgates1970

bgates1970 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Elko, MN
    Well last week I saw a hawk fly past our back windows so I ran out onto the deck. I couldn't see it anywhere. The gals weren't freaking out or anything. I looked back behind me and there he sat about 10 feet up on the edge of my roof. It just looked at me and probably said, "Phhh! What are you going to do?"

It then dived bombed my run and tried to grab one of my gals. It missed and flew off to the other side of the wetlands about 200 yards away.

Meanwhile my oldest son is freaking out because he doesn't want it to kill any chickens. My son (6 yrs old) is yelling, "Dad! Get your gun! What are you waiting for?" So I just did what my son told me to do... I ran to the closet and grabbed the 12 gauge and my binoculaurs. I watched him for a good 1/2 hour. I even wanted to yell... "Nice try! You suck as a predator!" but saw no point in that.

Well I think he realized taking my chickens may be a free meal but he's going to leave with a severe limp. I know I could probably get fined or have my gun taken away but at this point my chickens are not going to be free food.

I know I could put a top on the run but it's just too big.

2. chicksrcool

chicksrcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    I am always on bird alert too! You just never know and it's better to be safe than sorry (since I just lost 2 babies to family dogs) [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Check out some of the threads on hawk protection. Depending on your setup you may be able to string some fishing line or hang some cd's around to help deter it. You won't lose you gun that way either. [​IMG]

4. bgates1970

bgates1970 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Elko, MN
    I keep forgetting that hanging CD's is a very good deterrent. I'm going to string the CD's this weekend. Thanks!

5. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard of some people using netting on the tops of their runs. that may work.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Quote:You will want to look up the "Migratory bird act", the fines are around 10grand and there can be jail time involved.

You can try to put out some silvery streamers or CD's in your run. Also, making sure your chickens have some cover can be helpful. There are a lot of good, legal ideas on hawk deterrence if you do a search here on BYC. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by