Hawk Attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Terry52hunting, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Terry52hunting

Terry52hunting Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    My grand daughters favorite chicken was attacked by a hawk this morning. She is alive but not willing to do anything but stand still. She doesnt have any outward signs of injury. She does have a little bruising and blood by one eye. She tends to keep both eyes closed. She is alert if you get next to her. I believe that the Hawk just hit her once from the air.
    Any suggestions on how to treat her or what might be possibly wrong with her
    Rough morning in our household, this is really a loved pet

2. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    Keep her warm, well fed and watered. Basics are key on the road to recovery. Pics would be helpful but normally you can feel for internal damage, chickens aren't too thick. Check important parts - wings, feet, and breastbone. Also, feel her head to make sure that her bruised injury isn't a broken bone of some sort (skull, etc.). If she does have internal damage, she probably won't last long. She's probably just in shock though - worn out from a scramble with a hawk. Give her some scrambled eggs, and let her have a comfortable couple of day! I'm not tooo experienced with this, but rest, relaxation, protein, and water normally equal happy days for the chicks!

3. Terry52hunting

May 9, 2009
    Thanks we are keeping her warm and looked after by my 5 year old grand daughter. She isn't ready to eat or drink yet but I am hopeful she will be by this afternoon

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Hopefully it's just a stress reaction, but stress can be every bit as dangerous as the attack itself. Bring her inside where it's warm and put her in a small confined space (dog crates are perfect). Keep her quiet so she can rest. If you have some electrolytes on hand I'd add some to her water. Some folks use Gatorade added to the water, but I've never used that so I can't really comment on that. Chickens are very resilient. I had one survive a horrific attack that did a tremendous amount of damage. Your bird will probably be fine once she gets over the fright. Give her warmth and time. She may be ready for some food later- plain yogurt, scrambled eggs, sunflower seeds.

Keep us posted how she's doing. Check out some of the threads related to hawk attacks in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures section. Lots of great info there. Good luck.

5. Terry52hunting

May 9, 2009
    Thanks so much for the response. She is refusing food and water for the moment. I know she had plenty of both this morning. Her crop is still very full. She does stand up ocassionally but is very lethargic. She seems to be alert when she has her eyes open. We have her in a basket with a blanket in the kitchen. My grand daughter brings her in everyday so she feels pretty much at home.....no stress not being in the coop

6. Terry52hunting

May 9, 2009
    Well here is the great update. sadie the hen is up taking nourishment and feeling much better. She is sleeping quietly. I think we can expect a full recovery!!
    Thanks for your help

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I am glad to hear it. Take good care of her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by